ICC World T20 2012: Windies will be gunning for Australia, says Edwards
Colombo: Confident strike bowler Fidel Edwards says the West Indies will be firing from all cylinders in an effort to win their opening game against Australia in the ICC World T20 tournament when both teams meet Saturday.
Edwards, the most experienced bowler in the squad with over a decade at the international level, says victory against the Aussies is the impetus needed to carry his team into the competitive tournament, CMC reports.
The 30-year-old pacer grabbed three wickets in his four overs as the West Indies dominated Afghanistan with an eight-wicket win in a warm-up fixture at the P Sara Oval.
"It`s a big game. If we win that match it would set the standard. The last T20 we played against the Aussies in Barbados we won it and the guys are still confident from that result," Edwards said Tuesday.
"It would be a big plus for us to beat them and get off to a winning start in this tournament," he said.
The West Indies opening match against Australia is at the R Premadasa stadium in Colombo and will be followed Monday with their second game against Ireland.
Opening batsman Chris Gayle, who scored 67 runs in the final warm-up game against Afghanistan, says he was especially impressed with the effort from the bowlers in hot, energy-sapping conditions to restrict the batsmen to a low score.
"We won`t be targeting any one individual... we will be targeting everyone," said Edwards.
"They have a good team and to beat them you need to play total team cricket."
Edwards said he was "up on pace" and was also pleased with that fact that he "used the variations well" in the West Indies victory over Afghanistan.
"It was a good work-out for the bowlers in this match. We are trying to build up to Saturday when we face Australia," Edwards said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- How far is it right to link terrorism with religion?
- How far is it right to link terrorism with religion?- Part II
- How far is it right to link terrorism with religion?- Part III
- India is 35th member of Missile Technology Control Regime
- DNA : When will Indian govt take strong actions against terrorism?
- We are now talking to China eye-to-eye, raising issues of Indian interests boldly: PM Narendra Modi
- Release date of Salman Khan starrer 'Sultan' announced!
- What you need to know about dietary supplements!
- Euro 2016: Italy Vs Spain, England Vs Iceland; players to watch out for
- Govt pursuing black money very aggressively: Jayant Sinha