ICC World T20: Dwayne Bravo welcomes favourite tag
Colombo: All-rounder Dwayne Bravo has welcomed comments from some pundits who consider the West Indies to be among favourites to win the ICC world Twenty/20 tournament underway in Sri Lanka.
At least two members of the team have brushed aside the favourites tag including Captain Darren Sammy who says its means nothing unless players can back it up with strong performances, CMC reports.
Bravo and the rest of the West Indies cricketers will Thursday and Friday focus on final preparations for their opening match against Australia Saturday.
"It`s good to come into the tournament and have people show us the kind of respect and admiration to rate us among the top teams," said Bravo, currently number five in the allrounders ladder of the latest T20 rankings.
"We have come here as a confident team and we believe we can do very well for the people back home."
Meantime, Bravo is confident he can rediscover the form which saw him produce one of the best all-round displays in the short history of the tournament.
In 2009, Bravo took four wickets and made a match-winning half-century as the Windies outplayed India at Lord`s.
"I would rate that performance as my best in T20 cricket," said Bravo.
"It is something that I will remember for some time."
In that match Bravo had two career-best performances after grabbing 4 for 38 and returning with the bat to scorch a magical 66 not out off 36 balls.
His performances helped the West Indies reached the semi-finals, their best showing in World T20.
"I played really well on that day under pressure and set up a good win," Bravo recalled.
"I believe I am at that level in my game. I know I have a big part to play in the team during this tournament and I will look to contribute in all departments."
The West Indies have been drawn in Group B alongside Australia and Ireland and both first round matches will be at the Premadasa Stadium here.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- Five unmanned parachutes spotted over Mumbai airport
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Organisation demands re-examination of AIPMT 2015
- Death threat to PM Narendra Modi ahead of Mathura rally sends police into tizzy
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- CBSE Class 12th Board Results 2015 to be announced on Monday, May 25
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others as Gujjar agitation continues
- Pakistan criticizes Defence Minister Parrikar's terrorism remarks