ICC World Twenty20: This World Cup is gonna be ours says Gayle
Colombo: Opener Chris Gayle, who hammered an unbeaten 75 to help West Indies reach the finals, today sounded the battle cry against Sri Lanka, saying his team will definitely win the World Twenty20 on Sunday.
Riding on Gayle`s blistering 41-ball 75, West Indies today mauled Australia by 74 runs in the second semifinals to set up a summit clash with Sri Lanka on Sunday and the flamboyant opener declared they will definitely come on top.
"World Cup is definitely ours, sorry Sri Lanka, but I think it is our World Cup. The support will be more for West Indies on Sunday. We love Sri Lanka, but sorry, it is going to be West Indies all the way. The final will be a good final but We will on top, definitely," Gayle said after the match.
"We needed this victory badly and I am overall happy with the performance. Australia have been playing well so far, and to turn the table on them today was very pleasant," he added.
Gayle said the key for him was to hang around till the end of the innings.
"Initially I didn`t get many strikes. The key for me was to be there till the 20th over. Support from Marlon (Samuels) and (Dwayne) Bravo was good and finally (Kieron) Pollard gave us a winning total. I didn`t get strike but I didn`t panic, the key was to take it as it comes and be there till the end," he said.
Gayle said his aim was to target the spinners.
"(Shane) Watson has been a genuine wicket-taker and (Mitchell) Starc has been bowling well up front. So we needed to target Hussey and spinner. We actually had a bit of power there and it paid off for us. I am happy with the team performance," he said.
West Indies skipper Darren Sammy also praised his team for an overall performance today.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Hizbul commander Musa issues threats of attacks in new video
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video