India missing genuine pacer: Akram
Colombo: Former Pakistan captain Wasim Akram feels India are missing a tearaway pacer in the ongoing World Twenty20 and should try Ashok Dinda in their remaining Super Eight matches given that spearhead Zaheer Khan is not in the best of form.
"India is definitely missing a genuine quick bowler," Akram wrote in his column for `espnstar.Com`.
"Look how Pat Cummins and Mitchell Starc made an impact even on the slow deck in Colombo. How about giving Ashok Dinda a chance? He is close to 140 kmph, runs in hard and bowls a good line with a clever slower ball. Zaheer Khan must be feeling the heat with a nothing-special spell against the Aussies," he said.
India were hammered by Australia in their opening Super Eight match and will be up against Pakistan tomorrow in a do-or-die game. Akram said the Indians will come out all guns blazing despite the setback against the Aussies.
"I am sure Dhoni will sort out his batting order quickly. The team may be short on confidence but the fact that it will be Pakistan on Sunday, India will be rejuvenated.
"That`s the magic of an India versus Pakistan encounter. It will be the match of the tournament and both teams will start afresh in what should be a Analysing India`s defeat last night, Akram felt the team made a mistake by leaving out opener Virender Sehwag. He also agreed with Indian skipper Mahendra Singh Dhoni that brief rain interruption did not help India`s cause.
"Dhoni has blamed the rain just before the Australian innings started and according to me it`s a valid excuse. Even a two-minute spell of rain can affect the pitch and the outfield," he said.
"Rain drops bind the top soil and the natural rough is negated to a great extent. Any spinner wants the ball to grip and turn. The rain made the wicket very placid and that helped Watson and Warner go through with their big strokes with impunity. It was just bad luck for India," he added.
"I was not surprised when Dhoni opted for three specialist spinners but leaving out Virender Sehwag was suicidal...I am sure the Australians were happy not to see Sehwag in the Playing XI."
Akram also criticised the move to send Irfan Pathan as an opener.
"I am not convinced about Irfan Pathan`s ability to open the innings. He may have scored 31 off 30 balls, but one of the openers must play a longer innings if the middle-order has to come good...As it turned out, India groped for runs in the final overs and probably ended 20 runs too few," he said
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Street food in Delhi contains high levels of faecal matter
- Meet 92-year-old Phyllis Sues who dances toTango
- Watch: ISIS prisoner digging his own grave
- 50 percent refund on Tatkal ticket cancellation
- Priyanka, Ranveer talk about their film 'Dil Dhadakne Do'
- Erstwhile Mysuru kingdom gets new king
- UP: Govt to distribute free sanitary napkins to all girls in school
- Former Bihar CM Jitan Ram Manjhi meets PM Modi
- Delhi HC turns down plea challenging LG Jung's authority
- DNA: Pentagon report says Beijing accelerates land reclamation in South China Sea
- IIT Madras bans Dalit students forum for 'criticising' PM Modi
- Radioactive nuclear medicine leak detected at Delhi's IGI Airport
- IIT Madras row: Smriti Irani hits back, challenges Rahul Gandhi to a debate
- DNA: World soccer rocked by Swiss arrests of FIFA officials for graft
- DNA: Blow to Kejriwal, Delhi High Court backs LG
- Rahul Gandhi takes another dig at NDA govt, says Manmohan gave lessons on economy to PM Modi
- Delhi HC backs LG, turns down plea challenging Jung's authority
- WB Class 12 (HS) Result 2015 declared on wbresults.nic.in, wbchse.nic.in
- No radioactive leak at IGI airport, say AERB and Delhi govt
- WBCHSE (wbchse.nic.in & wbresults.nic.in): West Bengal Class 12th Result to be declared on May 29
- Log on to wbresults.nic.in, wbchse.nic.in for WB Class 12 (HS) Result 2015 WBCHSE
- WBCHSE (wbchse.nic.in & wbresults.nic.in): West Bengal Class 12th Result 2015 to be announced shortly
- Cbseresults.nic.in working now, check your CBSE Class 10 Board Results 2015
- Watch: Young Sikh boy takes on a bully outside UK school
- Twitter war over IIT Madras row: Smriti Irani challenges Rahul Gandhi to debate over any issue, anywhere
- Dangerous levels of toxins in Delhi's air as heat and dust intensify
- Check out: Salman Khan goes across the border in 'Bajrangi Bhaijaan' teaser
- Breast cancer changes bone structure to make it spread: Study
- Top 5 places to eat in Delhi University's campuses
- Baal nahi ball ko dekho: Sachin Tendulkar's tip to tackle Lasith Malinga