India to start T20 WC campaign with warm up games against Sri Lanka, Pakistan
Colombo: India will start their Twenty20 World Cup campaign with warm up games against Sri Lanka and Pakistan.
India will play Sri Lanka on September 15th at the P. Sara Oval and later on face their arch rivals Pakistan at the R. Premdasa Stadium on September 17. The Twenty20 World Cup begins on September 18th.
The India-Pakistan encounter, part of the warm-up schedule drawn up by the International Cricket Council, is the only one of 12 practice games that will be telecast live.
Pakistan captain Mohammad Hafeez said: “It is usually a high-pressure game and good for us to experience it early.”
The Indian cricket team held its first practice session in Colombo on Thursday after reaching Sri Lanka ahead of the ICC World Twenty20.
The Indian squad, including star batsman Yuvraj Singh trained hard at the Colts Cricket Ground under coach Duncan Fletcher.
Fletcher said: “We have come here with the belief that we can win the World Twenty20. We look forward to the two warm-up games which will give us the preparation we require for the tournament.”
Yuvraj, who played a major role in putting the T20 format on the world map when he blasted six sixes in one over off England’s Stuart Broad during the inaugural World Cup in South Africa in 2007, is back in the Indian team after fighting a rare germ cell cancer.
Earlier on Wednesday, the Indian cricket team arrived here for the ICC World Twenty20, which kicks off on September 18.
India`s squad for the ICC World Twenty20 includes Mahendra Singh Dhoni as captain, Gautam Gambhir, Virender Sehwag, Suresh Raina, Virat Kohli, Yuvraj Singh, Irfan Pathan, Ravichandran Ashwin, Zaheer Khan, L. Balaji, Ashok Dinda, Rohit Sharma, Piyush Chawla, Harbhajan Singh and Manoj Tiwary.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath takes 50 decisions without single Cabinet meet
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath reviews Gomti riverfront work
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath warns supporters of criminals, mafia
- Legal, illegal slaughterhouses in UP: What you need to know
- Triple Talaq: Why AIMPLB are opposing the petitions filed in Supreme Court?
- Azam Khan demands ban on cow slaughter across India, says Muslims should stop eating beef
- Kapil Sharma–Sunil Grover fallout: Kiku Sharda finally breaks silence
- Asaduddin Owaisi asks Centre to clarify policy on buffalo meat export, Nirmala Sitharaman gives apt reply
- Chinese national insults Indian flag, throws it in dustbin outside Noida Oppo office; massive protest takes place
- No ban on cow slaughter in three Northeast states if party comes to power next year: BJP