India will win T20 World Cup, says Srikkanth
Mumbai: Outgoing chief cricket selector Krish Srikkanth today predicted an Indian triumph in the World T20, starting in Sri Lanka on September 18.
"In eight days` time the T20 World Cup is starting. The Indian team is one of the strongest on paper. To pick the eleven itself is going to be difficult for the team management. It will be difficult to decide whom to drop.
"This team has the potential to win the T20 World Cup. I am pretty confident. The positive energy and prayers of the one billion Indian people will come strongly again like in the 2011 World Cup to give energy to the Indian cricketers to help them win. I would be chairman when the tournament starts but would be ex-chairman when India win," he said.
Srikkanth and three co-selectors - Surendra Bhave, Raja Venkat and Narendra Hirwani - will step down from their posts after completing their term at the Cricket Board`s AGM on September 27.
Only Mohinder Amarnath, the fifth member of the selection panel, has a chance to continue if he is re-appointed for another year by the Board`s general body.
Srikkanth, here to perform his final job as chief selector by choosing the Irani Cup team and India `A` and `B`squads for the N K P Salve Challenger Series, said the 2011 World Cup triumph by Mahendra Singh Dhoni`s team was easily the high point of the outgoing panel`s tenure.
"We all had a dream and a goal when we took over (as members of) the selection committee... Can we win the 2011 World Cup? We went getting prepared for the World Cup.
"The Indian team played brilliantly and we could win the World Cup which, I would say, was the high point of this particular selection committee... In the sense that we could win the World Cup after 28 years," the former India opener said.
Srikkanth, a member of the 1983 World Cup-winning squad led by Kapil Dev, said personally it was more satisfying for him when the Dhoni-led team lifted cricket`s showpiece trophy.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Is Pakistan terrified of Yogi Adityanath as Uttar Pradesh CM?
- Ayodhya dispute: SC asks parties to solve matter amicably, offers mediation
- Should Ram Mandir issue be resolved through mutual understanding?
- Jharkhand: Congress leader, 3 others killed in shootout in Dhanbad
- This fiery speech by Yogi Adityanath in Parliament on communal riots is setting internet on fire - MUST WATCH
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister
- Team Yogi Adityanath: List of Yogi's ministers with their portfolios - Check who got what
- MP student proposes Congress VP Rahul Gandhi's name to Guinness Book for losing maximum elections