India will win T20 World Cup, says Srikkanth
Mumbai: Outgoing chief cricket selector Krish Srikkanth today predicted an Indian triumph in the World T20, starting in Sri Lanka on September 18.
"In eight days` time the T20 World Cup is starting. The Indian team is one of the strongest on paper. To pick the eleven itself is going to be difficult for the team management. It will be difficult to decide whom to drop.
"This team has the potential to win the T20 World Cup. I am pretty confident. The positive energy and prayers of the one billion Indian people will come strongly again like in the 2011 World Cup to give energy to the Indian cricketers to help them win. I would be chairman when the tournament starts but would be ex-chairman when India win," he said.
Srikkanth and three co-selectors - Surendra Bhave, Raja Venkat and Narendra Hirwani - will step down from their posts after completing their term at the Cricket Board`s AGM on September 27.
Only Mohinder Amarnath, the fifth member of the selection panel, has a chance to continue if he is re-appointed for another year by the Board`s general body.
Srikkanth, here to perform his final job as chief selector by choosing the Irani Cup team and India `A` and `B`squads for the N K P Salve Challenger Series, said the 2011 World Cup triumph by Mahendra Singh Dhoni`s team was easily the high point of the outgoing panel`s tenure.
"We all had a dream and a goal when we took over (as members of) the selection committee... Can we win the 2011 World Cup? We went getting prepared for the World Cup.
"The Indian team played brilliantly and we could win the World Cup which, I would say, was the high point of this particular selection committee... In the sense that we could win the World Cup after 28 years," the former India opener said.
Srikkanth, a member of the 1983 World Cup-winning squad led by Kapil Dev, said personally it was more satisfying for him when the Dhoni-led team lifted cricket`s showpiece trophy.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 24 dead after boat carrying 40 capsizes in river Ganga in Patna; many still missing
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: What characteristics define a true leader?
- Tourists flock to Manali as snowfall takes a short break
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- Abhishek Bachchan reveals the moment when Aishwarya Rai said 'yes' to him
- India vs England, 1st ODI: As it happened...
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre