Levi's win augers well for ICC World Twenty20: CSA
Johannesburg: Upcoming batsman Richard Levi winning the ICC`s `Twenty20 International Performance of the Year` augurs well for the Proteas ahead of the World Twenty20 starting on Tuesday in Sri Lanka, feels Cricket South Africa.
Levi won the award for equalling West Indian Chris Gayle`s record highest score of 117 during the tour of New Zealand earlier this year.
In the process, he made the fastest Twenty20 International century of all time (off 45 balls) and also hit the most sixes ever in a T20 innings (13).
"It was a phenomenal performance and one that is going to be talked about for years to come," said CSA acting CEO Jacques Faul.
"To win the award he had to beat off serious competition from the likes of Gayle and Sri Lanka`s Tillakaratne Dilshan.
"We congratulate him on his achievement and hope this augurs well for the ICC World Twenty20."
Levi was the only South African to be honoured with an ICC award this year.
Hashim Amla and Vernon Philander were both in the running for the `Test Player of the Year` and `Cricketer of the Year` but Kumar Sangakkara of Sri Lanka won both the trophies.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Zakir Naik's foundation converted many to Islam for monetary benefits?
- Is Zakir Naik's foundation converted many to Islam for monetary benefits?- Part II
- Why Pakistan commits heinous crime in Balochistan and POK?
- Why Pakistan commits heinous crime in Balochistan and POK?- Part II
- Why Pakistan commits heinous crime in Balochistan and POK?- Part III
- Borussia Dortmund deny reports of Manchester City's EUR 70 million bid for Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang
- Kapil Sharma aka Kappu's Twitter account 'hacked'! – Know who did it
- More than 37,000 flee South Sudan for Uganda: UN
- World to end in a global apocalypse this Friday on July 29?
- First Haj flight from Uttar Pradesh to take off on August 10