Levi's win augers well for ICC World Twenty20: CSA
Johannesburg: Upcoming batsman Richard Levi winning the ICC`s `Twenty20 International Performance of the Year` augurs well for the Proteas ahead of the World Twenty20 starting on Tuesday in Sri Lanka, feels Cricket South Africa.
Levi won the award for equalling West Indian Chris Gayle`s record highest score of 117 during the tour of New Zealand earlier this year.
In the process, he made the fastest Twenty20 International century of all time (off 45 balls) and also hit the most sixes ever in a T20 innings (13).
"It was a phenomenal performance and one that is going to be talked about for years to come," said CSA acting CEO Jacques Faul.
"To win the award he had to beat off serious competition from the likes of Gayle and Sri Lanka`s Tillakaratne Dilshan.
"We congratulate him on his achievement and hope this augurs well for the ICC World Twenty20."
Levi was the only South African to be honoured with an ICC award this year.
Hashim Amla and Vernon Philander were both in the running for the `Test Player of the Year` and `Cricketer of the Year` but Kumar Sangakkara of Sri Lanka won both the trophies.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Pakistan's brutality exposed; `Black Day` protesters thrashed in PoK - Video goes viral
- Pakistan High Commission staffer, briefly detained for espionage, asked to leave India in 48 hours
- National Geographic's famed ''Afghan Girl'' arrested in Pakistan for forgery
- Hrithik Roshan, Yami Gautam's 'Kaabil' trailer shocks Rakesh Roshan
- VIRAL VIDEO: Damn cute! Why this 9-week-old's full head of hair is shocking the internet - WATCH