Sorry Sri Lanka, West Indies will win: Gayle
Colombo: Chris Gayle, whose powerful batting laid the foundation for a West Indies semi-final win against Australia Friday, is predicting his side will emerge victorious when they meet Sri Lanka in the World Twenty20 final Sunday.
Gayle batted throughout the innings to be unbeaten on 75 before the West Indian bowlers ripped the heart out of the Aussie batting as the Caribbean side prevailed by 74 runs.
"I am very happy with the team win and I think this World Cup is going to be ours. Sorry Sri Lanka but it`s definitely ours," Gayle was quoted as saying by CMC.
"The support is going to be more West Indian support. Definitely we love Sri Lanka but sorry Sri Lanka its West indies all the way."
Host Sri Lanka, who beat the West Indies earlier in the tournament, defeated Pakistan by 16 runs Thursday to reach the finals of the competition.
"We know what to expect," said Gayle. "We had a chance to play against them in the preliminary game. I think the final will be a good final but the West Indies on top definitely."
Gayle, starved of the strike at one stage in the semi-final, fostered a trio of partnerships with Pollard, Marlon Samuels and Dwayne Bravo that eventually created a one sided contest.
Samuel helped set up the innings with 26, Bravo scored an aggressive 37 and Pollard hit 38 which included three sixes.
"It was a good performance from the team. We needed this victory so badly. Australia was actually playing good cricket so to come here and turn the table is very pleasing," said Gayle.
"I didn`t get much strike but I told myself once am here to the end am sure the guys will bat around me and get a good total on the board."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why is Akhilesh Yadav encouraging dishonesty for votes?
- Is Akhilesh Yadav seeking votes based on development made by Modi govt?
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- UP polls: Polling for fifth phase of Assembly elections today
- UP polls: PM Modi addresses public rally in Mau
- Virender Sehwag's reply to Kargil martyr's daughter has taken the Internet by storm
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- Gurmehar Kaur reacts to Virender Sehwag's tweet, says she is heart broken!
- WATCH: MS Dhoni rips apart bowlers to smash brilliant 129-run knock in Vijay Hazare Trophy
- Gurmehar Kaur controversy: Twitter turns into battleground after Virender Sehwag trolls Kargil martyr's daughter