T20 World Cup 2012: Gibson upbeat on Windies chances
Bridgetown (Barbados): West Indies coach Ottis Gibson has expressed confidence in his side`s chances in the World Twenty20 Tournament beginning Sep 18 in Sri Lanka.
Gibson said the composition of the team struck the right balance between experience and talent, and he expected the West Indies to live up to his belief that they can win the title.
The 15 man squad flew out of the Caribbean Sunday enroute to Sri Lanka for the 12 team tournament from Sep 18 to Oct 7.
"The players have done very well at the camp and looking at the composition of the team. We have a good combination, a good mix of experience and young players," said Gibson following a nine-day training camp here.
"We feel we have a real good chance of doing very well in this tournament."
Darren Sammy`s side is ranked as favourites by several of the world`s current and former cricketers.
The squad includes some of the world`s leading T20 players such as Chris Gayle, Kieron Pollard, Dwayne Bravo and Sunil Narine.
"They have been stars of the Indian Premier League, and have in-depth knowledge of this format," he said.
"The captain, Darren Sammy, is in great form, so too Andre Russell and Fidel Edwards, and there are others that can step up."
The West Indies have been drawn in Group B along with Australia and Ireland - and both first round matches will be played at the Premadasa Stadium in Sri Lanka capital of Colombo.
Gibson said it was hard to predict which sides were the biggest threat in the competition and it was important that the West Indies focus on the things within their control.
"On the day, if everybody executes well, anybody can win a match. We have seen it before. . .In this format, anything is possible."
The West Indies open the tournament against Australia Saturday, Sep 22 followed by a clash with the Irish Monday, Sep 24.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: How Russian special forces Spetsnaz will end terror of ISIS
- Panel discussion on BJP MLAs assaulting legislator Rashid inside J&K Assembly
- Two J&K MLAs clash over beef party issue in Legislative Assembly
- Arvind Kejriwal takes U-turn on water promise, says BJP
- PM Modi breaks silence on Dadri lynching incident
- Latest condition of Navjot Singh Sidhu: Sherry Paaji making steady recovery!
- Rahul Gandhi takes potshot at PM Narendra Modi's fashion sense - Watch
- Bihar has to choose between 'jungle raj' and 'vikas Raj': Narendra Modi
- FIR against Asaduddin Owaisi for posting objectionable picture of Yogi Adityanath on Facebook
- Salman Khan's songs: Best five!