‘Ultra reliable’ Hussey’s T20 run may be over, says skipper Bailey
Sydney: Australia Twenty20 captain George Bailey has said squads for this summer`s three T20I internationals would be selected with an eye on the next World T20, to be held in Bangladesh in April 2014, which has effectively ruled out 37-year old Mike Hussey’s involvement in the shortest version of the game.
Australia is due to play only 13 Twenty20 matches in the 18 months until the next international tournament.
Hussey deserves to remain in the team on form, as he scored 155 runs in the tournament at an average of 77.5 and strike-rate of 123.02, but Bailey said the veteran’s hefty workload, combined with team planning goals, would probably set off a search for a substitute No.3 batsman.
“There`s no doubt the team will start to focus on 2014. It will be about developing a group,” a leading daily quoted Bailey, as saying.
“In that time I think we only play  games so we don`t want to spend too many of those series mucking around with different teams. We want to get the structure right with the group we think will take us to success in Bangladesh,” he added.
“Mike will be an interesting one. The other thing to take into account with him that if he is going to be playing all of the Test and one-day cricket too then come the back end of the summer there`s probably no need for him to be playing,” he said.
Bailey added: “If he`s still playing in 2014 then we`ll know exactly what he does. He`s done that a bit in the T20 format, sat out then come back in.”
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced on May 28
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow