We are a far better side than what we showed today: Taylor
Hambantota: They suffered a comprehensive 82-run defeat while chasing 183 against Sri Lanka but Zimbabwe skipper Brendan Taylor said they are far better side than what they put on display on Tuesday.
Zimbabwe were all out for 100 as Sri Lankan spinner Ajnatha Mendis returned record figures of six for eight in his four overs.
"It is a tough pill to swallow. We are a far better side than what we showed today. Credit goes to Sri Lanka. They showed why they are one of the favourites to win the tournament. We got to bounce back," Taylor said at the post match presentation ceremony.
Taylor exuded confidence of a comeback in following matches.
"We have played enough cricket to go back from today, rethink, have a good look, start training and come back a better side," he said.
Mendis, who played for national team after a long time, said he would try to carry forward the good form in upcoming matches.
"I am really happy today. Playing cricket after nine months, I am really happy today with my performance, and I will do my best in the coming matches," he said.
Sri Lanka captain Mahela Jayawardene they did not take Zimbabwe lightly.
"It`s tough paying a team like Zimbabwe. You can`t take anything for granted. We had to make sure we played to our potential. I am happy that we executed a good game plan," he said.
"It`s a pretty good wicket, just needed to get used to it a little bit. Our guys batted really well, and the bowlers then did a super job. Quite happy with the effort by the boys," Jayawardene said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- More than 9 lakh people participated in the oath-taking ceremony of Donald Trump
- DNA: Analyzing the harmful effects of selfies
- Report of a taxi driver who lends helping hand to patients in Mumbai
- 7th Pay Commission: Central govt employees expect Committee on Allowances report in February
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- Yuvraj Singh's wife Hazel Keech suggests new middle name for hubby Yuvi following Cuttack heroics
- Bigots at it again! Mohammed Shami called un-Islamic for posting picture with dog
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE