We couldn`t control match in pressure situations: Mahela Jayawardene
Colombo: Mahela Jayawardene, who stepped down as Sri Lanka`s Twenty 20 captain after losing the World Twenty20 final against the West Indies, said his team failed to handle the "pressure situations" in the title clash.
"I think we tried very hard, but this match changed in three or four overs in the middle. In the pressure situations we couldn`t control the match," Jayawardene said in the post-match conference after their 36-run defeat last night.
"Marlon Samuels batted really well and he took it away from us a little bit. But when we were put under pressure, we didn`t react well to that. When those small mistakes add up, that`s where you lose a match like a final, and that`s what happened to us," he added.
Samuels bludgeoned his way to a match-winning 78 off 56 balls and smashed Lasith Malinga for five towering sixes.
Jayawardene said all the four finals they have played in the last five years have been different.
"We played well right until the final. Every defeat has been different. How we approached a couple of the finals, we did not start well and we kept chasing the game and it was tough for us to get back into it.
"I thought today we started well. Marlon took a gamble after the 12th over and it paid off for him. Those were individual performances that you have to give credit to. Under pressure he put his hand up and performed and that crucial moment he controlled."
Though he stepped down from Twenty20 captaincy, Jayawardene said he will continue to lead the side in Tests and ODIs until at least the series against Australia in December.
"I think we need a young leader. It`s a great opportunity for somebody to start (captaining) in the T20 format. I haven`t stepped down from the other formats (Test matches and ODIs), obviously I took over till December...I will assess what I want to do after that."
He led Sri Lanka in 19 Twenty20s, winning 12 and losing 6 with one tied match.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Boyfriend murders DU student Arzu Singh; hides body in his house for three days
- International Fleet Review: India shows off naval prowess in "Operation Demo"
- Declared unfit for employment, man invents cost-effective electric car called Pixie!
- Can comments on social media against politicians land you in jail?
- Is Pakistan trying to divert India from issue of terrorism?
- India vs Sri Lanka 2016, 1st T20I: Squads, date, time, TV listing, live streaming
- SSC CGL 2016 exam dates out; read the eligibility criteria, registration details
- Bangladesh scraps China-proposed deep sea port, India offers help to develop another
- PSL 2016 T20, Match 7: Quetta Gladiators vs Peshawar Zalmi – Key players
- Deepika Padukone reads letter written by father – Watch - You will be moved to tears