We have problem of plenty now: MS Dhoni
Colombo: With Harbhajan Singh making a memorable comeback and Piyush Chawla coming good in the spin department, Indian captain Mahendra Singh Dhoni today said that his side would face the problem of plenty but the best eleven will play in the remaining games of the World Twenty20 here.
"Now we have got a problem of plenty with both the spinners (Harbhajan and Chawla) doing well today. Yes, we have got difficult decisions to make. Not to forget that the players who missed out today have won a lot of games for India on their own," Dhoni said after India thrash England by 90 runs in their last group league match.
"It will be difficult decision but we will pick the best eleven," he added.
He praised the players for the all-round show against defending champions England today.
"It was an efficient performance. People might say we were slow for the first 15 over (while batting), but we were not over-aiming. We had five bowlers, we knew that," he said.
"Then the bowlers produced a fantastic performance," he said.
Dhoni informed that he requested some senior players to take rest so that the side can try out some combinations.
"It was a difficult decision, but we requested the seniors to rest so that we could try out some combinations. All of them cooperated and told me to go ahead," he said.
"We rested R Ashwin also, our best spinner for some time so that we can try Harbhajan and Piyush. They did really well today," he added.
Asked about Irfan Pathan opening the innings in the absence of Virender Sehwag, he said, "We thought by opening with Irfan, there would be no change in batting position of other batsmen. They would be batting in their earlier batting spots.
"He (Irfan) is a gutsy player. He may not look pretty, but he responds to the call," said Dhoni.
"About Rohit, he is talented player. It is important if guys are responding to give them a few extra games."
England captain Stuart Broad conceded that it was a poor show by his players today.
"Yeah it was poor. All round really. We were okay with chasing 171, but India bowled really well. We weren`t as efficient, but we were happy with 171," he said.
Asked why his batsmen competed in returning to the dressing room, he said, "We played across the line too much. It was worth looking at playing one fewer spinner because we could afford to lose. I don`t agree we can`t play spin.
"We have been learning. We have had a very bad day, but that doesn`t affect the rest of the tournament. We get onto the bus, and play out Super 8s. It doesn`t change where we go."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- Exclusive: This is what Kashmir's stone pelters have to say!
- India to activate laser walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- Panel discussion on 'Most Favoured Nation' status India accorded to Pakistan in 1996
- Former bureaucrat BK Bansal commits suicide along with his son at Delhi residence
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says
- Rameez Raja picks all-time XI - Three Indians, but just one Pakistani make it to the list
- This Hindu-dominated village in West Bengal is not allowed to organise Durga Puja as Muslims don't want it
- As Pakistan gloats over hosting 70 Russians, 250 Indian Army soldiers renew bonds in Vladivostok