We have problem of plenty now: MS Dhoni
Colombo: With Harbhajan Singh making a memorable comeback and Piyush Chawla coming good in the spin department, Indian captain Mahendra Singh Dhoni today said that his side would face the problem of plenty but the best eleven will play in the remaining games of the World Twenty20 here.
"Now we have got a problem of plenty with both the spinners (Harbhajan and Chawla) doing well today. Yes, we have got difficult decisions to make. Not to forget that the players who missed out today have won a lot of games for India on their own," Dhoni said after India thrash England by 90 runs in their last group league match.
"It will be difficult decision but we will pick the best eleven," he added.
He praised the players for the all-round show against defending champions England today.
"It was an efficient performance. People might say we were slow for the first 15 over (while batting), but we were not over-aiming. We had five bowlers, we knew that," he said.
"Then the bowlers produced a fantastic performance," he said.
Dhoni informed that he requested some senior players to take rest so that the side can try out some combinations.
"It was a difficult decision, but we requested the seniors to rest so that we could try out some combinations. All of them cooperated and told me to go ahead," he said.
"We rested R Ashwin also, our best spinner for some time so that we can try Harbhajan and Piyush. They did really well today," he added.
Asked about Irfan Pathan opening the innings in the absence of Virender Sehwag, he said, "We thought by opening with Irfan, there would be no change in batting position of other batsmen. They would be batting in their earlier batting spots.
"He (Irfan) is a gutsy player. He may not look pretty, but he responds to the call," said Dhoni.
"About Rohit, he is talented player. It is important if guys are responding to give them a few extra games."
England captain Stuart Broad conceded that it was a poor show by his players today.
"Yeah it was poor. All round really. We were okay with chasing 171, but India bowled really well. We weren`t as efficient, but we were happy with 171," he said.
Asked why his batsmen competed in returning to the dressing room, he said, "We played across the line too much. It was worth looking at playing one fewer spinner because we could afford to lose. I don`t agree we can`t play spin.
"We have been learning. We have had a very bad day, but that doesn`t affect the rest of the tournament. We get onto the bus, and play out Super 8s. It doesn`t change where we go."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Is Pakistan terrified of Yogi Adityanath as Uttar Pradesh CM?
- Should Ram Mandir issue be resolved through mutual understanding?
- Jharkhand: Congress leader, 3 others killed in shootout in Dhanbad
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister
- Yogi Adityanath took THESE 20 big actions in just 75 hours after becoming UP CM