Winning T20 WC in Sri Lanka critical for team: Ashwin
Colombo: With less than a week to go for the ICC World T20, India off spinner Ravichandran Ashwin on Friday said that winning the coveted trophy after a gap of five years would be "critical" for the team after last year`s Test reverses in England and Australia.
"We won the 2007 World Cup and then this format has eluded us. We didn`t do well in the last two World Cups. Now to put in faith and win this World Cup is critical for the team, in the sense that we have done a good job but over the last one year we had tough time in Australia and England. To resurrect that and actually to do a good job here is important to everybody," Ashwin said.
Ashwin, who will turn 26 on Monday, said that winning the tournament would be a long process. He added that the team is trying to acclimatise to the conditions and is focussed to draw maximum number of positives during its stay in the Island nation.
India start their campaign against Afghanistan on September 19.
"Winning this World Cup is a long process. It is a 20-day long tournament and it is going to be another five-six days before the tournament begins. We actually get in to the tournament with a couple of practice games and drawing as many positives as possible is very crucial for the team.
"... So from there we will take it on. Definitely at the back of mind everybody knows that it is a very crucial tournament for us," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- BSF cancels beating the retreat ceremony at Wagah post surgical strikes
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’