World Twenty20: Women cricketers not at par with male counterparts
Sydney: Australian women cricketers are not being paid at par with their men counterparts in the ongoing World Twenty20 in Sri Lanka.
While each male cricketer gets a daily allowance of US$100, female cricketers are getting a paltry $60. It doesn`t stop here. In fact the men`s champion team will get a prize money of $1 million while the women`s team will get just $60,000, reports The Age.
The daily quoted an ICC spokeswoman as saying that the world body was aiming for "equal everything", but the smaller budget for the women`s event resulted in the more modest allowance and economy-class travel for the female cricketers.
"We are working towards equal everything. We are aiming to have three viable formats in men`s and women`s cricket and to promote the women`s game so it receives the same exposure, the same opportunities and the same prize-money," the spokeswoman was quoted as saying by the daily.
The World Twenty20 is a step towards making women`s cricket commercially viable, with semi-finals and final at the World Twenty20 to be televised by ESPN-Star Sports as curtain raisers.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Discussion over BJP's enormous victory in Maharashtra civic polls
- UP polls: Top 5 highlights of PM Modi's speech in Bahraich
- BMC elections 2017: Who will be the Mayor of Mumbai?
- NASA discovers seven Earth-like planets orbiting a single star
- BMC election results 2017: Shiv Sena ahead as single largest party
- Reliance Jio Vs Airtel free data plan: A comparison
- BMC election 2017 results: As it happened
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017: As it happened on Thursday
- WATCH: When Matthew Renshaw left everybody surprised by 'retiring ill' on Day 1 of India-England Test
- World's heaviest woman loses 50 kilos in just 12 days