Wright, Finn guide England to comfortable win over NZ
Pallekele: Steven Finn and Luke Wright played stellar roles as defending champions England revived their title hopes with a comfortable six-wicket win over New Zealand in their Super Eight match of the ICC World Twenty20 here on Saturday.
Finn achieved his as well as England`s best figures in the ICC World Twenty20 -- three for 16 -- before Wright hit a 43-ball 76 as England chased down the target of 149 with seven balls to spare.
After Finn and Co`s disciplined bowling restricted New Zealand to a modest 148 for six, England got off to a cautious start but soon Wright, who smashed five fours and equal number of sixes, sent the bowlers on a leatherhunt.
He was well supported by Eoin Morgan (30) at the other end and together they put on a 89-run stand for the third wicket.
England lost opener Craig Kieswetter (4) early but thereafter Alex Hales (22), Wright and Morgan made sure that there were no hiccup on the road to victory.
The defeat, their second after the loss to Sri Lanka, left New Zealand on the brink of an early elimination.
Earlier, Finn never allowed the Black Caps to settle down.
James Franklin, with an useful 50 off 33 balls, and captain Ross Taylor (28), were the two New Zealand batsmen who played responsible innings after the Kiwis decided to bat on winning the toss.
Franklin along with Taylor put on a 40-run stand for the fifth wicket, before he partnered Nathan McCullum (10-ball 16 not out) to add another 39 runs for the sixth wicket to help the Black Caps reach the fighting total.
New Zealand did not have an ideal start as Finn dismissed opener Martin Guptill (5) in the second over of the match, followed by the wicket of in-form Brendon McCullum (10) in his next over.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Should Ram Mandir issue be resolved through mutual understanding?
- Jharkhand: Congress leader, 3 others killed in shootout in Dhanbad
- CM Yogi’s cleanliness drive: UP cops clean up police stations
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister