Wright, Finn guide England to comfortable win over NZ
Pallekele: Steven Finn and Luke Wright played stellar roles as defending champions England revived their title hopes with a comfortable six-wicket win over New Zealand in their Super Eight match of the ICC World Twenty20 here on Saturday.
Finn achieved his as well as England`s best figures in the ICC World Twenty20 -- three for 16 -- before Wright hit a 43-ball 76 as England chased down the target of 149 with seven balls to spare.
After Finn and Co`s disciplined bowling restricted New Zealand to a modest 148 for six, England got off to a cautious start but soon Wright, who smashed five fours and equal number of sixes, sent the bowlers on a leatherhunt.
He was well supported by Eoin Morgan (30) at the other end and together they put on a 89-run stand for the third wicket.
England lost opener Craig Kieswetter (4) early but thereafter Alex Hales (22), Wright and Morgan made sure that there were no hiccup on the road to victory.
The defeat, their second after the loss to Sri Lanka, left New Zealand on the brink of an early elimination.
Earlier, Finn never allowed the Black Caps to settle down.
James Franklin, with an useful 50 off 33 balls, and captain Ross Taylor (28), were the two New Zealand batsmen who played responsible innings after the Kiwis decided to bat on winning the toss.
Franklin along with Taylor put on a 40-run stand for the fifth wicket, before he partnered Nathan McCullum (10-ball 16 not out) to add another 39 runs for the sixth wicket to help the Black Caps reach the fighting total.
New Zealand did not have an ideal start as Finn dismissed opener Martin Guptill (5) in the second over of the match, followed by the wicket of in-form Brendon McCullum (10) in his next over.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- Call up this number and get Reliance Jio's SIM for sure
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray