Wt20: De Villiers insists Proteas are no ‘chokers’
Colombo: South Africa captain AB de Villiers has said they are not chokers, and added they lost their second consecutive Twenty20 World Cup Super Eight match to Australia because they were outplayed throughout the match by the Oz team.
Australia beat South Africa by eight wickets with 14 balls to spare in the Super Eight stage of the ICC World T20 at the R Premadasa Stadium on Sunday to leave the Proteas with only a slight chance of still qualifying for the semi-finals.
India`s eight-wicket win over Pakistan on Sunday means that South Africa still have a slim chance of making the playoffs, but had Pakistan beaten India then they would have qualified together with Australia.
“I cannot put my finger on what went wrong. But I can say that we certainly did not choke tonight. We were just outplayed from start to finish by the better team,” De Villiers said in an interview.
“But we are not a team that ever gives up and as long as we have a chance then we will do everything to finish on a high against India on Tuesday, and we know we will have to raise our game considerably,” he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- J&K: Suspected Pakistani spy arrested in Samba district
- DNA: Reporting on war against ISIS in Mosul
- Kerala: Medical college prohibits girls from wearing jeans, noisy ornaments
- Ramgopal Yadav writes letter to SP party workers after Akhilesh Yadav sacked Shivpal Yadav
- Ramgopal Yadav writes to SP workers after Akhilesh Yadav suspends Shivpal Yadav
- India vs New Zealand, 3rd ODI: As it happened...
- Samajwadi Party feud intensifies: Shivpal Yadav sacked, Ramgopal Yadav expelled - As it happened
- 'Ae Dil Hai Mushkil' row: Raj Thackeray says Rs 5 crore 'penance' for signing Pakistani artistes
- Kerala dress code row: 'Why not 'mundus' for men, if 'sarees' for women'
- PM Narendra Modi warns of 'surgical strikes' against black money, corruption