Tahir will be secret weapon at World Cup: Graeme Smith
Johannesburg: The latest addition to the South African squad for the ICC Cricket World Cup, Pakistan-born leg-spinner Imran Tahir will be the country`s `secret weapon` at the mega-event, starting from February 19 in the sub-continent, said Proteas skipper Graeme Smith.
Smith explained that it was a conscious decision not to expose Tahir, who only received South African citizenship midway through the just-concluded tour of India, in the one-day series matches against the visitors.
"(Tahir) is someone we want to keep fresh and not allow people the opportunity to see so much of. It was also a tactical decision, with our batting being slightly light in this series (against India)," Smith told a daily.
Tahir, who came up with some superb performances in local games, is also familiar with the sub-continental pitches.
"The conditions in India will be a lot more batting friendly, and we will need to adapt our mindset from a batting and bowling perspective," Smith said.
"The great thing about our squad is that it`s hard to predict what the line-up is going to be. It`s the first time we`re going to a World Cup with a lot of different options.”
"We need to assess the conditions going into our first game and pick the team accordingly. I don`t think we are going there with a set XI in mind. We are going to pick the best combinations for each game; players we believe can win that game," added Smith.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena murder: Trio to be taken to Raigad to re-construct crime scene
- Mikhail emailed sister Sheena Bora's resignation letter: Report
- Raksha Bandhan: Sushma Swaraj ties Rakhi to Venkaiah Naidu
- Shiv Sena announces award of 2 lakh for Hindu families with 5 kids
- Watch: Wife catches husband with his girlfriend at Goa Airport
- Women's hockey team seals Olympic spot after 36 years, creates history on Dhyan Chand's birthday
- Sushma Swaraj ties rakhi to M Venkaiah Naidu
- Indrani Mukerjea's son Mikhail emailed Sheena Bora's resignation letter
- Know box-office report of Saif-Katrina's 'Phantom'
- Ten interesting facts about hockey legend Dhyan Chand