Tainted cricketer Ankeet Chavan denied bail for marriage
New Delhi: Rajasthan Royals cricketer Ankeet Chavan`s plea seeking bail to get married June 2 was Tuesday rejected by a Delhi Court which sent co-accused S. Sreesanth and Ajit Chandila to judicial custody till June 4 in the IPL spot fixing case.
Rejecting Chavan`s plea, Chief Metropolitan Magistrate Lokesh Kumar Sharma said: "Social sentiments have no place... I don`t deem it appropriate to admit him to regular or interim bail."
Lawyer for Chavan, who is in judicial custody till June 4, said his marriage date was close and he needed to attend the ceremonies.
Along with Sreesanth and Chandila, the court also sent two bookies Ashwini Aggarwal and Chandresh Patel to judicial custody till June 4.
The court dismissed the plea of Delhi Police seeking two more days` custody of Sreesanth saying he needed to be confronted with a man who joined the investigation in the morning and allegedly removed the electronic gadgets of the cricketer from his room after his arrest in Mumbai.
Sreesanth, Chavan and Chandila, who played for Rajasthan Royals team in the IPL, were arrested in Mumbai by Delhi Police for their alleged involvement in spot fixing in matches for payments up to Rs.60 lakh for giving away pre-determined number of runs in an over.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Video: India won't tolerate disrespect to national anthem – this Mumbai family learnt it the hard way
- Watch: Boy dies after falling from a Mumbai local train – video maker is guilty too!
- Watch: ISIS terrorist blown into pieces while bragging about his previous victory
- Shocking! World Cup winning cricketer forced to sell 'kachoris' to make a living
- Revealed: How Pakistan's ISI spy racket operated in India