Tainted cricketer Ankeet Chavan denied bail for marriage
New Delhi: Rajasthan Royals cricketer Ankeet Chavan`s plea seeking bail to get married June 2 was Tuesday rejected by a Delhi Court which sent co-accused S. Sreesanth and Ajit Chandila to judicial custody till June 4 in the IPL spot fixing case.
Rejecting Chavan`s plea, Chief Metropolitan Magistrate Lokesh Kumar Sharma said: "Social sentiments have no place... I don`t deem it appropriate to admit him to regular or interim bail."
Lawyer for Chavan, who is in judicial custody till June 4, said his marriage date was close and he needed to attend the ceremonies.
Along with Sreesanth and Chandila, the court also sent two bookies Ashwini Aggarwal and Chandresh Patel to judicial custody till June 4.
The court dismissed the plea of Delhi Police seeking two more days` custody of Sreesanth saying he needed to be confronted with a man who joined the investigation in the morning and allegedly removed the electronic gadgets of the cricketer from his room after his arrest in Mumbai.
Sreesanth, Chavan and Chandila, who played for Rajasthan Royals team in the IPL, were arrested in Mumbai by Delhi Police for their alleged involvement in spot fixing in matches for payments up to Rs.60 lakh for giving away pre-determined number of runs in an over.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Is it time for India to respond militarily to Pak terror instead of peace talks?
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’