Tamil group plans protest at 2nd Test in Melbourne
Melbourne: A group supporting Sri Lanka`s Tamil ethnic minority says it will protest at the December 26 cricket Test against Australia as part of a campaign to have future cricket matches against Sri Lanka banned.
The Tamil Refugee Council said on Friday it wants Cricket Australia to stop playing matches against Sri Lanka until its government agrees to an independent inquiry into war crimes.
Tamil refugee advocate Mal Bala said protesters would gather at the Melbourne Cricket Ground in a bid to raise the public`s awareness of the situation in Sri Lanka.
The Tamil Refugee Council says Sri Lankan President Mahinda Rajapaksa must face an inquiry into alleged war crimes committed at the end of the civil war in 2009.
Australia won the first of three Tests last week in Hobart.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof