Tamil Nadu close in on three points as Railways struggle
New Delhi: A collective effort by Tamil Nadu`s seam trio of Laxmipathy Balaji, Jagannathan Kaushik and M Mohammed helped them reduce Railways to 152 for eight after scoring 246 in their first innings in a Ranji Trophy Group B encounter at the Jamia Milia Islamia ground here on Sunday.
Railways still need 95 runs to take first innings lead but Tamil Nadu taking the last two wickets and getting a first innings lead to ensure three points and a safe passage into the quarter-finals.
The trio of Kaushik (3/35), Balaji (2/24) and Mohammed (2/39) kept a tight leash on Railways batsmen as they could manage only 152 runs at an average of 2.41 per over.
Actually, it is the ninth wicket partnership of 51 runs between left-hander Karn Sharma (50 batting, 3x4, 3x6) and Krishna Kant Upadhyay (12 batting) that helped them cross the 150-run mark after being reduced to 101 for eight inside 50 overs.
Earlier, Ramaswamy Prasanna (117) completed a well-deserved century as Tamil Nadu`s tail-enders provided stiff resistance to take the score closer to 250.
In-form Anureet Singh got another five-wicket haul as he took five for 67 in 35 overs to take his season wickets tally to 28.
Tamil Nadu 246 in 101 overs (R Prasanna 117, Anureet Singh 5/67).
Railways 152/8 (Karn Sharma 50 batting, J Kaushik 3/35).
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Bihar polls: Lalu's younger son claims to be older than elder brother
- Rahul Gandhi received pay while on 56 day leave: Organizer
- Mega sale: Snapdeal, Flipkart, others gear up for festive season
- Zee Media Exclusive: Three Romanians arrested in skimming scam in Mumbai
- Dadri lynching: Azam Khan seeks UN intervention
- Salman Khan, Aamir Khan's friendship turns sour? Here's the truth
- India vs South Africa: How cricket fraternity reacted to crowd's disgraceful behaviour at Cuttack
- Dadri lynching: Any threat to secular fabric of country will not be tolerated, says Rajnath Singh
- 'Rahul Gandhi gets pay without work'
- Dadri Police recommends FIR against Mahesh Sharma, Sangeet Som, Naseemuddin Siddiqui