Tamil Nadu in control against Gujarat
Ahmedabad: Manprit Juneja battled it out with an unbeaten 84 as Gujarat crawled to 293 for four but Tamil Nadu held the upper hand after piling up a mammoth 698 for eight declared on day three of their Ranji Trophy Elite division match on Thursday.
Priyank Kirit Panchal had laid the foundation for Gujarat with a solid 80 off 129 balls at the Sardar Patel Stadium in Motera.
At stumps, Pratharesh Parmar, batting on 45, was giving Juneja company.
The two will have their task cut out tomorrow as the hosts still trialled Tamil Nadu by 406 runs.
Resuming on their overnight score of 693 for eight, Tamil Nadu declared their innings for the addition of just five runs.
In reply, Gujarat were off to a bad start as skipper Parthiv Patel was dismissed by Jagannathan Kaushik in the third over.
Panchal and Avi Barot added 89 runs for the second wicket to steady the ship, before the latter offered a return catch to off-spinner Sunny Gupta, who had bowling figures of three for 86.
Niraj Patel could not do much, getting out cheaply for 19.
Patel`s wicket was followed by that of Panchal, so crucial to Gujarat`s plans at that point of time, as the hosts slipped to 155 for four.
Juneja and Parmar then staged a recovery act, raising 138 valuable runs for the fifth wicket, a partnership that saved the day for the hosts.
Tamil Nadu 1st innings: 693 for 8 declared in 181 overs
Gujarat 1st innings: 293 for 4 in 87 overs (Manprit Juneja 84 not out, Priyank Kirit Panchal 80; Sunny Gupta 3/86).
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- This is why Cyrus Mistry was removed as Chairman of Tata Sons!
- Prompt action on border pushes Pak to offer olive branch, says both sides need to 'formalise' 2003 ceasefire
- Read letters by Ratan Tata to PM Narendra Modi and Group employees after Cyrus Mistry's ouster
- 7th Pay Commission: Committee on Allowances proposes hike in HRA for central govt employees