Tamil Nadu in control against Gujarat
Ahmedabad: Manprit Juneja battled it out with an unbeaten 84 as Gujarat crawled to 293 for four but Tamil Nadu held the upper hand after piling up a mammoth 698 for eight declared on day three of their Ranji Trophy Elite division match on Thursday.
Priyank Kirit Panchal had laid the foundation for Gujarat with a solid 80 off 129 balls at the Sardar Patel Stadium in Motera.
At stumps, Pratharesh Parmar, batting on 45, was giving Juneja company.
The two will have their task cut out tomorrow as the hosts still trialled Tamil Nadu by 406 runs.
Resuming on their overnight score of 693 for eight, Tamil Nadu declared their innings for the addition of just five runs.
In reply, Gujarat were off to a bad start as skipper Parthiv Patel was dismissed by Jagannathan Kaushik in the third over.
Panchal and Avi Barot added 89 runs for the second wicket to steady the ship, before the latter offered a return catch to off-spinner Sunny Gupta, who had bowling figures of three for 86.
Niraj Patel could not do much, getting out cheaply for 19.
Patel`s wicket was followed by that of Panchal, so crucial to Gujarat`s plans at that point of time, as the hosts slipped to 155 for four.
Juneja and Parmar then staged a recovery act, raising 138 valuable runs for the fifth wicket, a partnership that saved the day for the hosts.
Tamil Nadu 1st innings: 693 for 8 declared in 181 overs
Gujarat 1st innings: 293 for 4 in 87 overs (Manprit Juneja 84 not out, Priyank Kirit Panchal 80; Sunny Gupta 3/86).
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- Don't know what will happen to my career, says Ranbir Kapoor
- Manohar Parrikar meets troops at Siachen base camp
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- After land bill, net neutrality, Rahul Gandhi to fight for ex-servicemen now