Tamil Nadu Police detain one more bookie
Chennai: Tamil Nadu Police Monday detained Sanjay Baffna, alleged to be one of the key people in the Indian Premium League (IPL) cricket betting racket, police said.
A statement from the Crime Branch said Baffna was caught at the airport while trying to enter India from South Africa. Police had earlier issued a lookout notice for him.
Police said Baffna`s role in the IPL betting was being examined and a decision on his arrest will be taken after his interrogation.
An anticipatory bail application filed by Baffna in the Madras High Court will come up for hearing May 29.
Police had earlier nabbed Harish Bajaj, S. Virudhachalam (also known as S. Vedhachalam), Lucky alias Narpath Jain, Pappu alias Praveen Kumar Goutham, Deepak Bajaj, Sunil Bajanlal, Uttam C. Jain alias Kitty and Jasraj Jain alias Raja for betting.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- J&K: Suspected Pakistani spy arrested in Samba district
- DNA: Reporting on war against ISIS in Mosul
- Kerala: Medical college prohibits girls from wearing jeans, noisy ornaments
- Ramgopal Yadav writes letter to SP party workers after Akhilesh Yadav sacked Shivpal Yadav
- Ramgopal Yadav writes to SP workers after Akhilesh Yadav suspends Shivpal Yadav
- India vs New Zealand, 3rd ODI: As it happened...
- Samajwadi Party feud intensifies: Shivpal Yadav sacked, Ramgopal Yadav expelled - As it happened
- 'Ae Dil Hai Mushkil' row: Raj Thackeray says Rs 5 crore 'penance' for signing Pakistani artistes
- Kerala dress code row: 'Why not 'mundus' for men, if 'sarees' for women'
- PM Narendra Modi warns of 'surgical strikes' against black money, corruption