T&T thrash Leicestershire by 51 runs in CLT20
Hyderabad: Trinidad and Tobago defeated Leicestershire Foxes by 51 runs to register their second win of the qualifiers stage.
Earlier, Openers Adrian Barath and Lendl Simmons smashed fluent half-centuries as Trinidad and Tobago produced a solid batting display to post a competitive 168 for two against Leicestershire Foxes in their second qualifying match of Champions League Twenty20 on Tuesday.
While Barath scored a strokeful 47-ball 62 with the help of six fours and two sixes, Simmons played 58 balls for his well-crafted 67 during which he hit seven fours.
For Leicestershire, Harry Gurney was the most successful bowler with figures two for 33.
Trinidad, who defeated defeated Sri Lanka's Ruhunu Eleven here yesterday, will qualify for the main round of the event if they win on Tuesday.
Opting to bat, it was all Barath and Simmons' show as they not only gave Trinidad a flying but shared 139 runs in 17.1 overs for the first wicket, which is also the Caribbean side's highest opening partnership in T20 cricket.
Simmons started the onslaught for Trinidad, hitting Gurney for two consecutive fours to accumulate 12 runs in the fourth over.
But Barath was not to be left behind as he and smashed captain Matthew Hoggard for two fours in the next over. He then hit left-arm spinner Claude Henderson for a boundary to bring up Trinidad's fifty in 6.4 overs.
The right-hander also struck the first six of the Trinidad innings when he clobbered Henderson over the long-off boundary in the ninth over.
Simmons also matched his partner stroke for stroke and hit Wayne White for a four through mid-off to take Trinidad past the 100-run mark.
Gurney finally broke the partnership with a double blow in the 18th over. The left-arm pacer first dismissed Barath caught at deep mid-wicket by Jacques du Toit and then in the next ball accounted for Simmons.
Darren Bravo (18 not out ) and Denesh Ramdin (7 not out) then provided the late sparks to take Trinidad past the 150-run mark.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm
- Death toll climbs to over 1400 as intense heatwave continues in India
- GUJCET Results 2015 declared on gseb.org
- Delhi Assembly passes resolution against MHA notification: As it happened