T&T thrash Leicestershire by 51 runs in CLT20
Hyderabad: Trinidad and Tobago defeated Leicestershire Foxes by 51 runs to register their second win of the qualifiers stage.
Earlier, Openers Adrian Barath and Lendl Simmons smashed fluent half-centuries as Trinidad and Tobago produced a solid batting display to post a competitive 168 for two against Leicestershire Foxes in their second qualifying match of Champions League Twenty20 on Tuesday.
While Barath scored a strokeful 47-ball 62 with the help of six fours and two sixes, Simmons played 58 balls for his well-crafted 67 during which he hit seven fours.
For Leicestershire, Harry Gurney was the most successful bowler with figures two for 33.
Trinidad, who defeated defeated Sri Lanka's Ruhunu Eleven here yesterday, will qualify for the main round of the event if they win on Tuesday.
Opting to bat, it was all Barath and Simmons' show as they not only gave Trinidad a flying but shared 139 runs in 17.1 overs for the first wicket, which is also the Caribbean side's highest opening partnership in T20 cricket.
Simmons started the onslaught for Trinidad, hitting Gurney for two consecutive fours to accumulate 12 runs in the fourth over.
But Barath was not to be left behind as he and smashed captain Matthew Hoggard for two fours in the next over. He then hit left-arm spinner Claude Henderson for a boundary to bring up Trinidad's fifty in 6.4 overs.
The right-hander also struck the first six of the Trinidad innings when he clobbered Henderson over the long-off boundary in the ninth over.
Simmons also matched his partner stroke for stroke and hit Wayne White for a four through mid-off to take Trinidad past the 100-run mark.
Gurney finally broke the partnership with a double blow in the 18th over. The left-arm pacer first dismissed Barath caught at deep mid-wicket by Jacques du Toit and then in the next ball accounted for Simmons.
Darren Bravo (18 not out ) and Denesh Ramdin (7 not out) then provided the late sparks to take Trinidad past the 150-run mark.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan