Tanvir asked to remain in SL after good showings in T20s
Lahore: In another decision that highlight the lack of consistency and direction in Pakistan cricket, the national selectors have allowed allrounder Sohail Tanvir to remain in Sri Lanka for the five One-day internationals.
Prior to the Sri Lanka tour the selectors last month had announced separate squads for the two T20 matches, five ODIs and three Tests.
Tanvir, 27, was only named in the squad for the T20 matches but chief selector Iqbal Qasim today said the pacer would remain in Sri Lanka with the team for the ODIs as well.
"In view of the request from the team management and keeping in consideration the current form of Sohail Tanvir, the selection committee has decided that he may be retained for the ODIs in Sri Lanka," Qasim said in a statement.
Interestingly, the selectors had not announced any replacement for opener Nasir Jamshed who was injured prior to the tour after being named in the ODI squad.
The Pakistan Cricket Board said in a statement that Tanvir will fill the vacant slot in the squad, which was available after Jamshed was dropped due to injury before the tour.
Tanvir bowled well in the two T20 matches that ended yesterday with the series level.
The decision to allow Tanvir to remain with the team for the ODIs, is a repeat of past instances when players have been rewarded for good performances by being allowed to remain with the team for rest of the tours.
Eight of the players who took part in the T20 matches will return home while captain, Misbah-ul-Haq, Younis Khan, Aizaz Cheema, Imran Farhat, Sarfaraz Ahmed, Abdul Rehman, Hammad Azam left yesterday to join the ODI squad.
Tanvir, who has taken 55 one-day wickets in 43 matches, has of late suffered from fitness problems and has been in and out of the team.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- DNA: Exclusive report on the extreme sacrifices made by ITBP soldiers
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- I pay my tribute to martyr Naresh Pal: PM Narendra Modi
- Some people are creating confusion between me and my father: Akhilesh Yadav
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- This is why Cyrus Mistry was removed as Chairman of Tata Sons!
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- Prompt action on border pushes Pak to offer olive branch, says both sides need to 'formalise' 2003 ceasefire
- 7th Pay Commission: Committee on Allowances proposes hike in HRA for central govt employees