Tanvir ruled out of NZ tour due to knee problem
Lahore: Left-arm pacer Sohail Tanvir was on Wednesday ruled out of Pakistan’s tour of New Zealand owing to a recurring knee problem.
Tanvir, who had attended the national training camp after being picked in the T20 and Test squads for the New Zealand tour, was left frustrated after doctors advised him to skip the tour.
“I have not played for Pakistan for the last one year because of this knee problem and I was looking forward to this tour, as this was the best way to prove that I was ready for the World Cup,” Tanvir said.
Pakistan team manager, Intikhab Alam, said that Tanvir had worked hard in the camp, but he struggled while fielding, and that was the reason he was left out.
“We can’t take a risk with a player who is not fully fit, that would be wrong on the team. But if he regains full fitness during the series the selectors can consider sending him to New Zealand later,” he said.
Batsman Asad Shafiq has been included as a replacement for the three T20 matches but selectors are still to decide on who would be included in the squad for the two Tests against the Kiwis.
“Bowling is not such a big issue in New Zealand conditions as we have plenty of depth, but we want to strengthen the batting. Obviously, since conditions are different in New Zealand, batsmen have to adjust quickly but they are not that difficult as being made out in recent days,” Alam said.
Tanvir who last played for Pakistan in November 2009 in a T20 match, underwent a knee surgery in Australia late last year and has since spent most of the time in rehabilitation.
Tanvir, 26, has played two Tests, 31 one-day internationals and 15 T20 games.
The bowler returned to this season’s domestic cricket with a bang but was then advised rest for a couple of matches by the PCB medical panel.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad barred from flying after his assault on AI staffer
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's first speech as Uttar Pradesh CM in Gorakhpur
- Air India lodges FIR against Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad for assaulting staffer
- What Hindu saints think about Ram Mandir issue?
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why
- Know how to link your PAN card with Aadhaar card – Here is the step by step explanation
- Mohanlal's 'Manyam Puli' has a BREATHTAKING scene where TIGER attacks a boy! WATCH 'Pulimurugan' clip
- Yogi Adityanath meets gang-rape survivor, who was forced to drink acid, at Lucknow hospital; two arrested