Taylor sacking ‘tip of iceberg’ of NZ leadersip problems: Parker
Wellington: The axing of Ross Taylor in favour of Brendon McCullum as New Zealand captain has been described as just the tip of the iceberg for the team’s leadership problems, according to former Kiwi player John Parker.
According to Parker, who is the head of a group of former test players pushing for reform, the New Zealand captaincy issue is a ‘red herring’ when compared to more senior governance issues with New Zealand Cricket (NZC).
Parker said that his group`s findings on the Taylor issue are as accurate as possible without being able to talk to Taylor or Black Caps coach Mike Hesson, adding that the axing of Taylor is just the root of the issue which in large, covers the malaise affecting cricket and which he claimed can be traced back to the poor NZC governance and management.
Stating that they have met with NZC chairman Chris Moller and CEO David White over the issue, Parker said the aim of the group is to bring back good governance in New Zealand cricket, adding that he is optimistic that NZC`s major associations are convinced of the need for change. Meanwhile, In a nine-page report which includes 77 bullet points, Parker and his group raised serious accusations about Taylor``s removal with several senior players, lined up alongside Hesson and McCullum for criticism.
However, White strongly defended McCullum against claims that he was involved in the sacking of Taylor, adding that McCullum had behaved honorably in this matter and has subsequently gone on to prove himself an excellent leader and an inspiration to both younger and older members of the team.
White he further said that the allegations raised by Parker and the anonymous group of critics are divisive, untrue and reflect poorly on them rather than the players they have attacked.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Barack Obama thanks Americans for making him a 'better man'
- Is there no respect for Congress in UP politics?
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened
- Yuvraj Singh's wife Hazel Keech suggests new middle name for hubby Yuvi following Cuttack heroics
- Bigots at it again! Mohammed Shami called un-Islamic for posting picture with dog