Taylor sacking ‘tip of iceberg’ of NZ leadersip problems: Parker
Wellington: The axing of Ross Taylor in favour of Brendon McCullum as New Zealand captain has been described as just the tip of the iceberg for the team’s leadership problems, according to former Kiwi player John Parker.
According to Parker, who is the head of a group of former test players pushing for reform, the New Zealand captaincy issue is a ‘red herring’ when compared to more senior governance issues with New Zealand Cricket (NZC).
Parker said that his group`s findings on the Taylor issue are as accurate as possible without being able to talk to Taylor or Black Caps coach Mike Hesson, adding that the axing of Taylor is just the root of the issue which in large, covers the malaise affecting cricket and which he claimed can be traced back to the poor NZC governance and management.
Stating that they have met with NZC chairman Chris Moller and CEO David White over the issue, Parker said the aim of the group is to bring back good governance in New Zealand cricket, adding that he is optimistic that NZC`s major associations are convinced of the need for change. Meanwhile, In a nine-page report which includes 77 bullet points, Parker and his group raised serious accusations about Taylor``s removal with several senior players, lined up alongside Hesson and McCullum for criticism.
However, White strongly defended McCullum against claims that he was involved in the sacking of Taylor, adding that McCullum had behaved honorably in this matter and has subsequently gone on to prove himself an excellent leader and an inspiration to both younger and older members of the team.
White he further said that the allegations raised by Parker and the anonymous group of critics are divisive, untrue and reflect poorly on them rather than the players they have attacked.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Admissions 2015: Know India's best ranking Universities
- Yasin Bhatkal calls wife from Hyderabad jail, talks of 'help from Damascus'
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with UPSC topper Ira Singhal's family
- UPSC announces Civil Services Examination 2014 results
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Is Corporate Social Responsibility nothing but a marketing gimmick?
- UPSC announces Civil Services Examination 2014 results; women bag top four positions
- 3rd Test, Day 2: Sri Lanka rattle Pakistan in decider
- Indian Mujahideen chief Yasin Bhatkal indicates Islamic State will help him get out of jail soon
- Missing UK schoolgirls seen carrying Kalashnikov rifle in ISIS's Raqqa?
- Met Dawood Ibrahim in London, he wanted to return to India: Ram Jethmalani