Taylor to join Cricket Australia board
Melbourne: Former Australia captain Mark Taylor was Friday elected the Cricket New South Wales (NSW) Independent representative on the Cricket Australia (CA) board.
Taylor takes the position currently filled in an interim capacity by David Dilley. In the process, the former left-handed batsman will become the first Independent representative from NSW to sit on the CA board, in a move that required Cricket NSW to amend its own constitution.
The 48-year-old joined the NSW board shortly after his retirement in 1999. In 2004, he was elected as one of three NSW representatives in CA.
“I think that we are extremely lucky to be able to appoint someone of Mark Taylor`s standing. He has integrity, knowledge and standing in the cricket world and will be of tremendous value to both Cricket NSW and Cricket Australia. Mark will bring a unique and broad insight to the position and will provide outstanding leadership on the Cricket Australia board," Cricket NSW chairman John Warn was quoted as saying by the CA website.
Mark Taylor was equally excited about the opportunity.
“I am greatly appreciative of the fact that Cricket NSW have nominated me for the CA board. I am aware of the responsibility that the role carries and I look forward to working closely with the rest of the board on behalf of Australian cricket. I look forward to the challenge of being part of a board that will look to continue to move Australian cricket forward,” said Taylor.
Taylor played 100 First Class matches for NSW between 1985-86 and 1998-99. He is the state’s fourth leading scorer with 6,997 runs at an average of 41.40, including 17 centuries.
The former skipper also played 104 Tests for Australia between 1988 and 1999, scoring 7,525 runs at an average of 43.49, with a highest score of 334 not out. He has had close to 30 years of continuous involvement with Cricket NSW as a player and as an administrator.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Is it time for India to respond militarily to Pak terror instead of peace talks?
- Revealed - How Indian Army hit terror camps across LoC!
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- After threatening Zee News, Hafiz Saeed says PM Narendra Modi and Ajit Doval staged `surgical strike drama'