Team India hits back at Harper`s allegations
Somerset: Team India has described retired international umpire Daryl Harper`s charge that captain M S Dhoni tried to intimidate him, as unwarranted.
Team sources said on Sunday that they are surprised by Harper`s comments.
According to a news channel, some players even laughed off comments made by Harper.
Meanwhile, Dhoni has received the backing of cricket experts, especially considering Harper`s record of getting into trouble with a number of International cricketers.
Saying, ``Harper has had run ins with players a number of times``, cricket experts said they prefer to believe India`s side of the story rather than Harper`s.
Harper called time on his international umpiring career during the West Indies series when a number of the decisions of the Australian were questioned by the Indian team and experts.
Harper, who was forced to withdraw from the third Test following criticisms from Indian players, said Dhoni should have been penalised for his comments on poor umpiring, adding that he was forced to break his silence following ICC`s inaction.
Harper said Dhoni tried to intimidate him after paceman Praveen Kumar was removed from the attack for repeatedly running on the pitch.
According to a website, Harper said that Dhoni approached him and said "we`ve had problems with you before, Daryl", which the umpire interpreted as an attempt to intimidate.
"I decided what he meant was that I was one umpire not influenced by any personalities or teams or boards. He hadn`t been able to intimidate me, I think that was part of it," Harper said.
Harper also said that Dhoni should have been punished for his comments at the post-match conference.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- China condemns Pakistan over Uri terror attack
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- Congress workers thrash students for showing black flags to Rahul Gandhi in Raebareli
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- Onam Bumper Lottery/Kerala Thiruvonam Bumper-2016 BR-51 draw result declared - Here is the winning ticket number
- Uri attack: Israel ready to help India with cutting-edge technology to secure borders
- India's Rafale vs Pakistan's F-16: Why the French fighter jet is the best choice for dogfight
- MNS ultimatum to Pakistani actors: Leave India in 48-hour deadline
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31