Team India made to wait at the gates of PM’s residence
Zeenews Sports Bureau
Sydney: Members of the Indian cricket team were made to stand outside the Australia PM’s official residence, Kirribilli House before the official pre-match function to mark the 1ooth Test to be played at the Sydney Cricket Ground (SCG).
Legends of the game Rahul Dravid, Sachin Tendulkar were made to stand outside the Prime Minister`s Sydney residence for 15 minutes on Sunday before being allowed inside, as reported by The ‘Sydney Morning Herald’ on Tuesday.
The newspaper reported that the senior members of the touring party were understood to be furious about being made to wait outside the gates in the heat.
According to the daily, “They (Indian team) arrived in the team bus at 1.45pm, 15 minutes before the function was originally due to start at 2pm. It was subsequently put back to a 2.10pm start, and staff were taken aback when they were told the India bus was in the driveway”.
“After several minutes waiting in the baking sun, India coach Duncan Fletcher ordered his players back on the bus, which was parked outside the gate, before they were ultimately checked off and allowed through by security”.
``This year, afternoon tea was scheduled to commence at 2.10pm,`` a spokesperson for Gillard said. ``The Indian team bus arrived somewhat before that time and, as soon as the Prime Minister was made aware, she welcomed them to Kirribilli House.``
The broadcasters of the Border-Gavaskar Trophy named the series as ‘Agneepath’ but both the captains had maintained that they would not like to indulge in any kind of controversy. However, the series is turning out to be a controversy magnet – first it was the DRS debate sparked by two wrong decisions in the first Test, then the Oz media targeting the ‘Little Master’ on the monkey-gate scandal and now this.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Vyapam Scam: Mystery over journalist Akshay Singh's death continues
- Panel discussion on RSS's 'Muslim Rashtriya Manch' first Iftaar party
- MPs spend more than Rs 25 cr taxpayers' money on study tours: DNA reports
- Jhansi police launches ‘Citizen Cop’ android app
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- PM Narendra Modi holds talks with Uzbek leader
- Akshay Singh's death case: MP CM assures fair probe, lambasts Oppn over Vyapam scam