Tendulkar, cricketing fraternity pay tributes to Thackeray
New Delhi: The cricketing fraternity today condoled the sad demise of Bal Thackeray with fellow Maharashtrian Sachin Tendulkar leading the pack, saying the Shiv Sena patriarch will "always be remembered and missed".
Tendulkar said Thackeray`s demise is a "terrible loss" for Maharashtra and he would have personally liked to pay his last respects to the Shiv Sena supremo had he not been playing in the first cricket Test against England in Ahmedabad.
"Really sad to hear about Balasaheb`s demise. His contribution to Maharashtra was immense. It`s a terrible loss and he will always be remembered and missed," Tendulkar said in a message on his facebook page.
"Unfortunately I am in Ahmedabad as I would have liked to pay my last respects personally. My condolences to his family. May God rest his soul in peace," he added.
The 86-year-old cartoonist-turned politician, Thackeray, known for his strong views and speaking his mind, breathed his last at 3.30 PM at his residence `Matoshree` in suburban Bandra after after having been critically ill for the past few days.
Tendulkar was joined by team-mate Harbhajan Singh in paying tributes to Thackeray.
"Rip to great bala saheb thackeray ji.You wil be missed.Very sad to hear the news.Condolence to the family.Respect," the off-spinner wrote on his twitter page.
Mumbai batsman Rohit Sharma also paid his respects to Thackeray on his twitter page.
"Roaring tiger of Mumbai-Maharashtra is no more..Rip balasaheb thackeray," he wrote.
IPL chairman and Minister of State for Parliamentary Affairs, Rajeev Shukla also offered his condolences on twitter.
"I would like to offer my deepest condolences to the Thakre Family on the passing away of Shri Bal Thakre.May his soul rest in eternal peace," said Shukla, who is also the vice-president of BCCI.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing