Tendulkar defends rotation policy in Australia
Mumbai: Senior Indian batsman Sachin Tendulkar on Sunday defended the controversial rotation policy that was adopted during the disastrous tour of Australia, saying that the idea was to keep everyone fit as it was a long tour.
After maintaining silence over the contentious issue of rotating three senior openers in the ODI tri-series in Australia, Tendulkar said the much-talked about policy was planned.
"It (rotation idea) was decided by our senior players and captain (Mahendra Singh Dhoni). We felt that since it was a long tour without long breaks it would be good to give rest to some borderline cases (injuries). I am not saying they were injured. No one was dropped," said Tendulkar at a 55-minute media interaction with a select group of journalists here.
The rotation policy saw Tendulkar, vice-captain Virender Sehwag and Gautam Gambhir being rested in turn.
It became a highly contentious issue when Dhoni indicated to the media that all three seniors cannot be fielded in the same match as they would concede 20 extra runs on the field.
Sehwag had then retorted that it was not the reason given at the team meeting by the captain when it was decided to follow the policy.
Tendulkar also felt that what was discussed in the dressing room needed to remain within the four walls. "But that`s my view. Individual views may differ."
Later at a media conference he had said he cannot comment on what was said at the media conferences in Australia by some teammates as he was not present.
"I don`t know what was said (in what context) and what their (players) intentions were," he reiterated.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Bhagat Singh's name termed as terrorist to be removed from DU textbook
- Ludhiana: Protest against DU for calling Bhagat Singh as terrorist in textbook
- Delhi: INTUC workers protest outside Subramanian Swamy's residence
- Special CBI court accuses Naveen Jindal for criminal conspiracy in coal scam
- Gujarat announces 10% reservation for economically backward class
- Kapil Sharma meets 'showman' Subhash Ghai at Whistling Woods—See pic!
- Did 'Sultan' shoot disrupt Indian athletes' Olympic practice session at JLN Stadium? Here's what happened...
- Kangana Ranaut – Hrithik Roshan controversy: Adhyayan Suman explains why he broke his silence years after remaining tight-lipped
- Centre to release 25 declassified files related to Netaji Subhas Chandra Bose today
- Baaghi tweet review: First day first show!