Tendulkar, Lara on equal terms, says Steve Waugh
Bangalore: Former Australian captain Steve Waugh on Thursday rated Brian Lara and Sachin Tendulkar as "equals" because they played in different conditions and under different sort of pressures.
"I hate comparisons between players because it unnecessarily creates controversy. Both played under different pressure and for different teams. I would place them pretty much on equal terms," Waugh told reporters during an interaction organised by Brigade Orchards here.
Lara and Tendulkar were unbelievable players, who won games for their teams, playing under different conditions, Waugh said.
"Sachin was carrying on his shoulders amazing pressure of 1.3 billion people. Brian obviously was the best player in a weak team," he added.
Another former Australian captain, Ricky Ponting had rated Lara ahead of Sachin as he felt the West Indian helped his team win more matches.
On Tendulkar`s retirement, Waugh said all good players ultimately have to hang their boots.
Despite the retirements of legends like Rahul Dravid and VVS Laxman, Waugh said Indian cricket will survive as it has abundance of young talents.
On Mahendra Singh Dhoni`s captaincy, Waugh said he has a magical touch and hardly commits mistakes.
"During Australia`s tour of India last year, Dhoni came in and scored a double century when India`s chips were down. He knows how to perform at the big stage. He has got so much of magical touch," Waugh said.
"It is not easy to captain India where fans expect a lot from the players," he said.
On Australia`s chances here in October, Waugh said India is a fantastic team.
"India has always been a favourites at home. At the moment we are struggling a little bit," he said.
About Australia`s opposition to DRS for many decisions going against them in the ongoing Ashes series, Waugh said the system is pretty good.
"We are getting more decisions right than wrong and I think it is a positive development," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on clashes at JNU over Afzal Guru row
- JNU students call terrorist Afzal Guru a martyr amid anti-nationalist slogans
- DNA: JNU students clash over Afzal Guru row
- Panel discussion on clashes at JNU over Afzal Guru row- Part II
- PM Modi breaks protocol to receive Abu Dhabi Crown Prince Al Nahyan
- Drunk girl creates ruckus in Delhi's Connaught Place; arrested - Watch
- JNU erupts over 'Shaheed Afzal Guru', 'Azad Kashmir'; rival student groups clash, police deployed
- AAP poster showing Arvind Kejriwal with Bhindranwale sparks row in Punjab
- Video of Hanumanthappa's rescue that went viral on social media is fake - Watch
- Paid sex: Good or bad? This girl was too eager to find out - Watch what happened!