Tendulkar must score runs in South Africa if he wants people's respect, says Bedi
Kolkata: Former India captain Bishen Singh Bedi on Friday took an indirect dig at Sachin Tendulkar`s prolonged lean patch, saying it was high time for him to start scoring runs again.
"It`s high time that he (Tendulkar) should get back to runs to get people`s respect," said the legendary left-arm spinner.
Here in the city for a promotional programme, Bedi said getting 10 wickets in a Test match is like scoring hundreds in each innings.
"Even a player of Tendulkar`s calibre has not done it, so it`s an enormous achievement," Bedi said recalling his only 10-wicket haul in Perth.
The 66-year-old hailed former India captain Sourav Ganguly and said the Bengal cricketer contributed enormously to the rise of the Indian cricket.
"Like in present day, we are reading so much about Mahendra Singh Dhoni but the present day cricket was set up by Sourav Ganguly. He has enormous contribution to the Indian cricket. It has just been taken forward by Dhoni in a calm manner. Calmness is Dhoni`s greatest quality. Indian cricket always had ups and downs but now it seems reasonably stable," he said.
Comparing Ganguly with late Mansoor Ali Khan Pataudi, Bedi said, "I honestly feel that Tiger Pataudi was the greatest thing to have happened to the Indian cricket. He brought the sense of Indianness to the dressing room. Winning as a habit was cultivated by Tiger Pataudi."
"We have seen the result in Ajit Wadekar team winning three match series in 1971. With due respect to Wadekar, I am saying that the seeds were sown by Pataudi," he added.
Bedi rated Sir Girfield Sobers as the greatest cricketer along with Sir Donald Bradman.
"I am fortunate to have bowled to Sir Sobers. He was the ultimate cricketer. Two people -- Sobers and Bradman -- would not emerge in world cricket again."
Talking on a panel alongside India off-spinner Ravichandran Ashwin, Bedi was all praise for the side especially after their Champions Trophy triumph.
"It`s a great time for Indian cricket. We have good players and spinners like Ashwin. He has everything in him to become the go-to man for the Indian cricket."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Man beheads wife; roams on streets with severed head in Pune
- Greater Noida women blames UP police for stripping off their clothes
- Vladimir Putin's attack on ISIS making America and NATO nations uneasy?
- I believe this election will punish the old govts that spoiled Bihar, says PM Modi
- DNA: 50-lane traffic jam in China during national holiday
- Man beheads wife over suspicion of illicit relationship, walks on road with her head
- Why CBI is worried about Indian men’s lust for violent porn
- Bihar polls: Two surveys predict majority for Grand Alliance, one give edge to NDA
- Grand Alliance set to win Bihar election: Survey
- What's happening in Noida! Now, a Dalit family resorts to nude protest