Tendulkar`s comment on selectors blown out of context: Sourav Ganguly
Kolkata: Former India captain Sourav Ganguly Monday said batting master Sachin Tendulkar`s comment that selectors need to look beyond statistics while picking fresh talents has been blown out of context.
"I was there when he made the comments and also read his interview. It has been completely blown out of context. it was a completely harmless statement made by Sachin. He said it in a completely different context," Ganguly said on the sidelines of a programme here.
Two days back, Tendulkar had courted a controversy when he said selectors needed to give importance to a player`s skills and ability to absorb pressure, rather than going by the scorebook.
"It`s about vision. When it comes to selection, one has to analyse a player. Even if he fails in a few matches, one needs to see if he has the ability to withstand pressure and execute at the international level. I have seen players who are exceptionally good at the domestic level not being able to perform as well in international cricket," Tendulkar had said at the platinum jubilee celebrations of the Karnataka State Cricket Association in Bangalore Saturday.
Ganguly, and other Indian captains like Mohammed Azharuddin, Radhul Dravid and Anil Kumble were also present at the Bangalore function.
On Tendulkar`s likely 200th Test appearance in the coming South Africa trip, Ganguly said the record would be unbreakable.
"It would be an unbelievable achievement. I dont think it will be possible to break that record," he said after inaugurating "Sahanubhuti", a benefit exhibition of paintings and sculptures for rehabilitation of Uttarakhand flash flood victims at Emami Chisel Art gallery.
Ganguly also hoped India would do well in South Africa.
"India have done well in last 4-5 months, So there is a lot to hope, for South Africa provides the best bowling conditions and I hope India have a good season there".
The talismanic cricketer said he has not shown any disrespect to stylish former Indian batsman V.V.S. Laxman by naming him the 12th man of a dream Test team he chose during an interaction with a television channel.
"Selecting such a team doesn`t mean showing disrespect to any player. It doesn`t make any player bigger or smaller."
Ganguly denied reports that he may participate in a dance reality show.
"It`s completely news for me. I can`t dance, only my wife can, I am not a part of any such programme," he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Delhi: Two killed in road accident in New Ashok Nagar
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Fiji: Floating island restaurant in middle of ocean
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- CBSE Results 2015: 10th board exam results to be declared on May 27
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- Jayalalithaa returns as Tamil Nadu CM: As it happened