Tendulkar to play landmark 200th Test at home
Kolkata: Sachin Tendulkar is set to play his landmark 200th Test match before his home fans with the BCCI on Sunday making a surprise announcement that the West Indies team has been invited for two Tests and five ODIs in November next.
The iconic batsman, who has already played a record 198 Tests, was earlier expected to become the first player in the history of the game to figure in 200 Tests in South Africa where the Indian team is scheduled to tour in December.
Kolkata and Mumbai are likely to be the venues for the Tests against the West Indies.
The sudden announcement about a short tour by West Indies has given rise to speculation that Tendulkar, who has struggled in Test of late, may play his final Test at his home ground in Mumbai and then announced his retirement after an unprecedented 24-year international career during which he has become the highest run getter (15837 runs at an average of 53.86) with a record 51 centuries.
He also has the highest centuries in ODIs with 49 tons.
After its Working Committee meeting here, the BCCI also announced that India will tour New Zealand for two Tests and five ODIs in January/February 2014 and England for five Tests/five ODIs/one T20 International from July to September 2014.
However, there was no mention of the tour of South Africa which has already has been announced two months back.
This also generated speculation on whether there were any hiccups with regard to the South African tour given the fact that India has sought changes in the schedule worked out by Cricket South Africa and BCCI`s thinly-disguised dislike for their CEO Haroon Lorgat.
The BCCI`s dislike for Lorgat dates back to his days as the ICC Chief Executive when he was on a collision course with the Indian Board on a number of issues.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing
- Assembly Elections: BJP releases list of 149 candidates for Uttar Pradesh, 64 for Uttarakhand
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert
- Zaira Wasim Trolled: Ashamed that she had to apologise, says Gautam Gambhir