Tendulkar wishes countrymen; reminisces about his 1st century
Bangalore: Senior Indian batsman Sachin Tendulkar today wished millions of his countrymen on 65th Independence Day celebration and reminisced scoring his first Test century on the same ocassion in 1990.
"Happy Independence Day (to all countrymen). It is 65th anniversary. It is a wonderful occasion and hope we keep progressing," Tendulkar told reporters after a net session at National Cricket Academy (NCA) here.
Tendulkar also recalled his match-saving first Test century (119) against England at Old Traford on August 14 1990. "It is a co-incident. What can I do? Wonderful memories," he quipped.
Tendulkar, sporting a new hairstyle, began preparations for the upcoming New Zealand Test series at a fast-paced practice pitch at NCA, soon after flying in here from Mumbai.
He first asked India pace spearhead Zaheer Khan, who has been training here for the last few days, to bowl at him, which he and other young fast bowlers did. He took a 10 minute break after 45 minute practice and then went back to the nets.
The first Test will begin in Hyderabad on August 23 and the second and final match at Bangalore from August 31.
The two teams will also play two Twenty20 matches after the Test series. The first T20 is slated for Sept 8 in Visakhapatnam, while the second will be played in Chennai on September 11.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Kalam's advisor recalls his last moments with the great scientist
- To Sir with Love: School kids pay tribute to Dr Kalam
- India mourns APJ Abdul Kalam; PM to receive body at Palam airport
- DNA: Complete analysis of APJ Abdul Kalam's life and achievements
- Kalam's body flown to Delhi; PM, Prez lead nation in paying homage
- When UN declared Dr APJ Abdul Kalam's 79th birthday as World Students' Day
- SC hearing on 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's curative plea
- India's 'original rocket man': Abdul Kalam's phenomenal contribution to Science
- Parliament pays tributes to Dr APJ Abdul Kalam, calls him 'real gem' of India
- Ready to see Shah Rukh-Salman together on-screen?