Tendulkar, Yuvraj want Kirsten to continue as India coach
Mumbai: India`s senior players Sachin Tendulkar and Yuvraj Singh want outgoing coach Gary Kirsten to continue in the job, saying the inspirational South African worked hard for the team`s success and would be missed.
Kirsten had decided to quit from his position as India coach before the World Cup had begun and has played a key role in transforming the Indian team into world beaters.
"Personally I want Gary to continue but I understand he has got commitments and he must have thought about this before the tournament. I respect his decision," Tendulkar said.
"It has been a pleasure to work with him, he worked as hard as the players, he is like a bowling machine, bowling 200-300 balls to the batsmen. It has always been a fabulous experience to rub shoulder with him, we will miss him," he
Yuvraj, who was going through a rough patch before the World Cup, said Kirsten was a father figure and helped him to regain his confidence.
"He always kept a check on me. He pulled me up when the chips were down. He is a father figure and I am going to miss him," said Yuvraj.
Kirsten, under whose guidance India became the number one Test and ODI side, ended with the team`s World Cup title triumph and he has already ruled out reconsidering the decision.
"Cricket has been in the right direction since Gary came on and I hope it will remain so," said Yuvraj.
The dashing left-hander, who was named Man of the Tournament for a fine show with both bat and ball, said winning the mega-event was a dream realised.
"It`s like living a dream. It still hasn`t sunk in and the guys haven`t slept. We have kissed the trophy about a 1000 times," he said.
"I am very proud of the team and myself. Our dream was to make the finals but to win it was extraordinary. Now I understand what it means to be a world champion," he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad barred from flying after his assault on AI staffer
- Martyrs' Day: Nation remembers Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev and Rajguru for their sacrifice
- London terrorist attack leaves five dead, including police officer
- Do not put unnecessary pressure on police: PM Modi tells UP BJP MPs
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Unable to meet educational expenses, Muslim girl writes to PM Narendra Modi – Know what happened next
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why