Terror-cricket link being probed
New Delhi: Investigating agencies are probing the links between terror elements and illegal money from cricket betting, sources in the government said on Monday.
With the spot fixing scandal rocking the cash-rich Indian Premier League (IPL), investigating agencies are looking into the betting money being channelized to fund terrorism in the country, an informed source said.
"The fixing scandal came out from the investigation being carried out on financing of terrorism activities. There are links between terrorism and cricket (betting)," the source said.
"This (link) is a serious, bigger issue (than spot fixing scandal). It is far too early to say much at this stage that so and so are connected. It would be premature till the investigation is completed," the source said.
"After the chargesheet is filed, we will come to know what exactly it is," he added.
Delhi Police busted a racket of spot fixing in the IPL T20 tournament with the arrest of three players of Rajasthan Royals.
Pacer S. Sreesanth and two other players of the franchise were arrested on allegations of indulging in spot fixing.
Later, Mumbai Police arrested actor Vindu Dara Singh for his association with bookies and betting in cricket.
BCCI president N. Srinivasan`s son-in-law and Chennai Super Kings` Gurunath Meiyappan was also arrested for alleged involvement in the spot fixing scandal.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Pakistan behind increasing train accidents in India?
- DNA: Beaten by mob in Kolkata, US NRI vows never to return in India
- When will democracy get freedom from dynasty politics?
- Delhi: Taxi driver dies as BMW rams into car near IIT
- DNA: Has bad time started for American 'media' after Donald Trump became US President?
- WATCH: Epic Staredown between Goldberg, The Undertaker and Brock Lesnar at WWE Raw
- Jallikattu stir: As it happened on Monday
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS