Test off spinner Lyon unfazed with Australian T20 WC snub
Sydney: Australia off spinner Nathan Lyon has said the selectors have told him to keep working hard because they believe he can play for the national team in all formats of the game.
Left-arm tweaker Xavier Doherty and veteran Brad Hogg were preferred over Lyon for the World T20 showpiece on the subcontinent despite the off spinner’s sensational Test debut against Sri Lanka at Galle.
“I have to keep improving and keep working hard. They (selectors) just said keep working and aspiring to play all three formats and that is definitely in my book,” News.com.au quoted Lyon, as saying.
Australia’s spin options seem weak when compared with rivals ahead of the tournament opener against Ireland on Wednesday in Colombo.
Doherty has one wicket at an average of 130 in five T20 outings for Australia.
Hogg, 41, has three scalps at 50 in six games although the wrist spinner took 3/23 in Australia’s 53-run warm up victory in Colombo on Saturday.
When compared, Caribbean revelation Sunil Narine and Saeed Ajmal with 60 T20 international wickets at 15.4 will power the West Indies and Pakistan respectively while Graeme Swann is central to England’s title defence.
The 24-year-old, who stunned the cricket world by bowling South Australia to the 2010-11 Big Bash title, must bide his time with a high stakes Test series looming against South Africa.
“I can``t seem them making too many changes. Australia has a pretty strong squad. I know I have to come back and put the performances on the board with the Strikers and Redbacks if I want to be picked across three formats,” Lyon said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Fateh Ka Fatwa: Is it time to introduce reforms in Muslim laws?
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath takes 50 decisions without single Cabinet meet
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath reviews Gomti riverfront work
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath warns supporters of criminals, mafia
- Legal, illegal slaughterhouses in UP: What you need to know
- Azam Khan demands ban on cow slaughter across India, says Muslims should stop eating beef
- Sunil Grover to return as Dr Mashoor Gulati!
- No ban on cow slaughter in three Northeast states if party comes to power next year: BJP
- Asaduddin Owaisi asks Centre to clarify policy on buffalo meat export, Nirmala Sitharaman gives apt reply
- Those ready to work 20 hours daily are welcome, rest can leave - UP CM Yogi Adityanath's message to govt officials