Test rankings: England on top, India third
Colombo: England will start its domestic international season as the No.1 Test side in the ICC Test Championship after a two-Test draw with Sri Lanka helped it retain the top spot.
England defeated Sri Lanka by eight wickets here Saturday. India are joint third with Australia, five points behind England and South Africa who are tied at 116 points.
England entered the two-Test series against Sri Lanka with 118 ratings points. Though it conceded two points, England have been rated above South Africa due to decimal point calculations.
This is the second time in less than a month that England`s number one status has been at risk.
While this time gutsy on-field effort helped England, last month South Africa`s three Tests in New Zealand were marred by bad weather.
The threat to England`s No.1 status exists.
With the West Indies and South Africa touring England from May 17 to July 19, any series loss will mean England`s ranking will take a dive, provided Australia wins its series against the West Indies.
The Test Championship table, unlike the ODI Championship table, is updated only after the end of the series.
Sri Lanka has gained one rating point and moved to 99 - nine points behind fifth-placed Pakistan.
Now, only eight ratings points separate the top five sides, setting up an exciting 12 months of Test cricket when everyone will try to top the table by April 1 to win a cash reward of USD450,000.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- Discussion over if Pak is in fear of war after India's stringent initiative on Uri terror attack?
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31
- Call up this number and get Reliance Jio's SIM for sure
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3