Ashes: Stuart Broad enters records book after magical eight-wicket spell
England fast bowler Stuart Broad went on a carnage after wrecking the Australian batting line-up who were shot for a dismal 60-run first innings score in the fourth Test Ashes match in Nottingham on Thursday.
New Delhi: England fast bowler Stuart Broad went on a carnage after wrecking the Australian batting line-up who were shot for a dismal 60-run first innings score in the fourth Test Ashes match in Nottingham on Thursday.
Broad stepped up in the absence of an injured James Anderson and delivered the goods for the hosts. His magical figures of 8/15 is one of the best Test match bowling spells in the history of the game.
Stuart Broad bettered his previous best figures in Tests, 7/44. This series witnessed the third bowler to reach a milestone, after James Anderson (400) and Mitchell Johnson (300) got to their impressive wickets haul.
The England pacer entered the record book after his feat on Thursday.
1. Stuart Broad has the third-best Ashes bowling figures in history - behind Jim Laker's 10-53 and 9-37 in 1956.
2. The fast bowler also accounted for the third meanest eight-wicket haul in Test cricket. He became the third bowler in the list to account for giving least runs after picking eight wickets in a Test match innings.
3. Broad joined the likes of Fred Trueman, Bob Willis, Sir Ian Botham and James Anderson to join the 300-wicket club for England.
4. Broad's eight wickets saw him level Fred Trueman on 307.
5. Broad's 8/15 is the best bowling figures before lunch on opening day of a Test match. He overcame Graham McKenzie who took 6/34 versus India at MCG in Dec 1967.
6. Stuart Broad equalled the Test record of Ernie Toshack for fastest five-wicket haul.