There is good reason behind Dhoni`s moves: Akram
Hobart: Pakistan pace legend Wasim Akram has backed Indian skipper Mahendra Singh Dhoni`s controversial rotation policy, saying that there is "good reason" behind the move as senior players are either "not in his control" or they have become a "liability".
Dhoni`s remarks about senior players being slow fielders has triggered speculation that there are dissensions in the Indian dressing room.
Akram said Dhoni`s comments are an "absolutely genuine" opinion.
"In my opinion, Dhoni is a very intelligent person and I totally agree with him because he says what he thinks. There must be a very good reason behind his comments. I have never heard Dhoni speaking in such a manner," Akram said.
"I think either the seniors are not in his control or they are a liability," he said.
The former Pakistan captain feels Sachin Tendulkar and Virender Sehwag will have to be physically fit to sustain themselves in the ODI format.
"As the grounds are big in Australia, players have to be in the best of their health to play. Nobody questions Tendulkar`s fitness, either you see him fielding at short third-man or fine-leg. You can hide your fielders in Test and T20s but not in ODIs," Akram explained.
Akram also questioned the role of coach Duncan Fletcher in team selection.
"If I am the coach, I will send the best batsman to open the innings. Gautam Gambhir has scored in 90s twice in the series so far and he is the best opener available. It is up to the team management to decide who will be his opening partner.”
"That will also give you a left hand-right hand combination. In the match against Sri Lanka we saw both the out-of-form batsmen opening the innings and your best is coming at No.3. So, what is the use of keeping a coach when he is not able to decide?" asked Akram.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing
- Assembly Elections: BJP releases list of 149 candidates for Uttar Pradesh, 64 for Uttarakhand
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert
- Serial child rapist arrested in Delhi, says 'preyed on girls for sexual satisfaction, enjoyed it'