These days a wicketkeeper has to be a good batsman: Karim
Hyderabad: Former India stumper Saba Karim on Friday said that a present day wicketkeeper in international cricket necessarily needs to be an accomplished batsman also.
"Now you need to be an accomplished wicketkeeper and a very good batsman too to survive at the highest level. If you are only a stand-alone wicketkeeper it will not help you to get into any international side," said Karim.
"Look at Adam Gilchrist, look at Mark Boucher. These players were able to survive in international cricket for a number of years because of their skills both in the front as well as behind the wickets.
"Same goes with Dhoni. I think that is what we need to look at now. We need wicketkeepers who can contribute with the bat as well," he added.
Karim said Indian team is quite fortunate to have a number of reserve wicketkeeper-batsmen.
"India is quite fortunate to have players like Wriddhiman Saha, Dinesh Karthik and Parthiv Patel, who are both good with the gloves and the bat," said Karim on the sidelines of an event organised to announce Coca Cola U-16 inter-school cricket tournament in Hyderabad.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- Is population control next on central govt's agenda after demonetization?
- Gujarat: Goods train engine catches fire in Surat
- India-Afghanistan thrash Pakistan over terrorism issue in Heart of Asia conference
- Watch: Tracing the journey of Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa from films to politics
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- Fake or Real? 'Alien animal' caught on Karnataka-Kerala border
- People want to know whether Jayalalithaa is alive or not; PM Narendra Modi must intervene, says expelled AIADMK MP Sasikala Pushpa
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition continues to remain critical after suffering cardiac arrest
- I-T department rejects declaration of Rs 2,00,000 crore made under IDS by Mumbai family