These days a wicketkeeper has to be a good batsman: Karim
Hyderabad: Former India stumper Saba Karim on Friday said that a present day wicketkeeper in international cricket necessarily needs to be an accomplished batsman also.
"Now you need to be an accomplished wicketkeeper and a very good batsman too to survive at the highest level. If you are only a stand-alone wicketkeeper it will not help you to get into any international side," said Karim.
"Look at Adam Gilchrist, look at Mark Boucher. These players were able to survive in international cricket for a number of years because of their skills both in the front as well as behind the wickets.
"Same goes with Dhoni. I think that is what we need to look at now. We need wicketkeepers who can contribute with the bat as well," he added.
Karim said Indian team is quite fortunate to have a number of reserve wicketkeeper-batsmen.
"India is quite fortunate to have players like Wriddhiman Saha, Dinesh Karthik and Parthiv Patel, who are both good with the gloves and the bat," said Karim on the sidelines of an event organised to announce Coca Cola U-16 inter-school cricket tournament in Hyderabad.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Ajinkya Rahane to captain India on Zimbabwe tour; Dhoni, Kohli rested
- Shiv Sena slams HC order banning erection of pandals on roads
- Kejriwal's electricity bill exceeds Rs 1 lakh in two months: RTI
- Top leader of NSCN(K) arrested for Manipur attacks by NIA
- Bangladeshi newspaper mocks Indian team with half-shaved heads
- India vs Zimbabwe: Ajinkya Rahane to lead; MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli rested
- Chinese military research academy praises India's main battle tank Arjun, says it's 'very good'
- Gangster Abu Salem ready to tie the knot with girl seeking to marry him
- Vijender Singh brings down curtains on India career, turns professional
- Manipur ambush: Key NSCN(K) leader involved in killing of 18 Army personnel arrested by NIA