These days a wicketkeeper has to be a good batsman: Karim
Hyderabad: Former India stumper Saba Karim on Friday said that a present day wicketkeeper in international cricket necessarily needs to be an accomplished batsman also.
"Now you need to be an accomplished wicketkeeper and a very good batsman too to survive at the highest level. If you are only a stand-alone wicketkeeper it will not help you to get into any international side," said Karim.
"Look at Adam Gilchrist, look at Mark Boucher. These players were able to survive in international cricket for a number of years because of their skills both in the front as well as behind the wickets.
"Same goes with Dhoni. I think that is what we need to look at now. We need wicketkeepers who can contribute with the bat as well," he added.
Karim said Indian team is quite fortunate to have a number of reserve wicketkeeper-batsmen.
"India is quite fortunate to have players like Wriddhiman Saha, Dinesh Karthik and Parthiv Patel, who are both good with the gloves and the bat," said Karim on the sidelines of an event organised to announce Coca Cola U-16 inter-school cricket tournament in Hyderabad.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will continue to be your 'pradhan sevak', says PM Modi in UP rally
- Will continue to be your 'pradhan sevak', says PM Modi in UP rally - Part II
- Will continue to be your 'pradhan sevak', says PM Modi in UP rally - Part III
- Will continue to be your 'pradhan sevak', says PM Modi in UP rally - Part IV
- Will continue to be your 'pradhan sevak', says PM Modi in UP rally - Part V
- 2016 French Open Day 5: Novak Djokovic, Rafael Nadal reach milestones; Serena Williams romps
- Wow! This is how Mukesh Ambani's home Antilia looks from inside
- Donald Trump reaches the magic number to clinch Republican nomination
- Sexism row: Darren Sammy defends 'entertainer' Chris Gayle
- Inexhaustible Rafael Nadal wins 200th Grand Slam match