These days a wicketkeeper has to be a good batsman: Karim
Hyderabad: Former India stumper Saba Karim on Friday said that a present day wicketkeeper in international cricket necessarily needs to be an accomplished batsman also.
"Now you need to be an accomplished wicketkeeper and a very good batsman too to survive at the highest level. If you are only a stand-alone wicketkeeper it will not help you to get into any international side," said Karim.
"Look at Adam Gilchrist, look at Mark Boucher. These players were able to survive in international cricket for a number of years because of their skills both in the front as well as behind the wickets.
"Same goes with Dhoni. I think that is what we need to look at now. We need wicketkeepers who can contribute with the bat as well," he added.
Karim said Indian team is quite fortunate to have a number of reserve wicketkeeper-batsmen.
"India is quite fortunate to have players like Wriddhiman Saha, Dinesh Karthik and Parthiv Patel, who are both good with the gloves and the bat," said Karim on the sidelines of an event organised to announce Coca Cola U-16 inter-school cricket tournament in Hyderabad.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indrani 'slow-poisoned' Sheena, wanted to portray Mikhail as 'mentally unstable'?
- People have no faith left in Modi government: Sonia Gandhi at Swabhiman rally
- Lashkar-e-Toiba plotting 26/11-style attack in India with the help of Pak Navy, ISI?
- Radhe Maa approached to be a part of Bigg Boss 9?
- Swabhiman rally: About Bihar's development or Narendra Modi?
- Satire website publishes article on Osama bin Laden being alive and quotes Edward Snowden
- Indrani's former brother-in-law claims Sheena was Siddharth Das' daughter
- Sheena Bora murder case: 'Indrani Mukerjea's father thrashed her with belt'
- Sheena murder: Suitcase seized from Indrani, Peter's residence meant for disposing Mikhail's body?
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, sex sites planted as 'following'