Thilan Samaraweera retires after Bangladesh axe
Colombo: Middle-order batsman Thilan Samaraweera today said his omission from the Test squad for the series against Bangladesh forced him to retire from international cricket.
The 36-year-old, who played 81 Tests and 53 ODIs, announced his retirement following a meeting with the national selectors.
"I was shocked with my omission from the squad against Bangladesh," he told reporters.
Samaraweera was excluded from the 16-man squad after being originally included in the 20-member probable.
"The selectors told me that their idea was to play only two senior players in the series against Bangladesh and the next series against Zimbabwe," he said.
"They told me that my experience would be needed for the Pakistan tour which is nine months away. I decided to retire because there is no point in waiting for nine months. This will clash with plans in my personal life.
"I respect the decision to go with young players and decided it is the right time to retire."
Chief selector Sanath Jayasuriya said they met the right-handed batsman to discuss his future plans after Samaraweera had yesterday informed Sri Lanka Cricket about his retirement.
Samaraweera has already signed up with the English county team Worcestershire for this summer.
Since the tour to Australia in December, Sri Lanka has seen a thorough shake-up of the set-up.
Angelo Mathews and Dinesh Chandimal were appointed new Test and T20 captains after Mahela Jayawardene announced his decision to give up captaincy.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Exclusive: Chat with 'Jazbaa' stars Aishwarya Rai and Irrfan Khan!
- Delhi government to add environment tax in electricity bill
- AAP govt suggests four-fold hike in MLAs salaries
- DNA: Indian Army's 'Phantom Guns’ to defend border with Pakistan
- Shaheed Express train's freight coach catches fire on Ludhiana railway station
- India vs South Africa 2015: 3rd T20I - Preview
- Indrani Mukerjea's statement on suspected drug overdose recorded
- Modi govt turns down IAF's request for more foreign fighter planes, pushes for Made-in-India Tejas
- Indrani Mukerjea back in jail; claims did not take pills, was upset because of mother's death
- Unbelievable! Crops destroyed for Congress vice president Rahul Gandhi's rally in Karnataka