This team can win the T20 world cup again: Srikkanth
Mumbai: BCCI Selection committee chairman Krishnamachari Srikkanth on Friday hailed Yuvraj Singh`s return to international cricket and said the left-hander will be an important factor for the Indian team`s success in the upcoming Twenty20 World Cup.
"We are very happy that Yuvraj Singh has been declared fit. Yuvraj is a very crucial factor. If he gets going he can win matches single-handedly for us. Don`t forget 2007 T20 World Cup (won by India in South Africa), he was the man of the series," Srikkanth said.
"In 2011 World Cup too, he was man of the series. We hope he continues in the same vein. And he has fought his way back. We really appreciate the kind of efforts put in by Yuvraj. He will be a great factor from Indian cricket`s point of view.
"It is very good to see Yuvraj back with the Indian team starting with the World Cup T20. I am sure with this kind of combination that we have selected, we will definitely have a great chance of winning the T20 World Cup," he added.
About the Test selection, the former India captain insisted that the selected team was the best though there were hardly any changes from the squads, barring Rahul Dravid who has retired, that were whitewashed in England and Australia.
"We had a long discussion. What we have taken into account is the immediate, that is the New Zealand series and we thought the team we selected was the best. We want to get back into the winning ways," Srikkanth told reporters here.
Referring to the T20 World Cup to be held in Sri Lanka from September 18 to October 7, the former India opener said factors like mental strength and conditions that the team will encounter has been taken into consideration.
"We are playing the World Cup so we took a lot of factors into consideration such as what kind of mental preparation you need for the world cup, the kind of ground conditions and the kind of conditions there," Srikkanth said.
"We wanted to get a very well balanced side and we had a long discussion. We had a discussion with a team management also. Overall, we thought we have come to a team that can win the T20 world cup again.
"We won the T20 World Cup in 2007. We won the 50-over World Cup last year. So we are very keen to win the 2012 T20 World Cup. I think we have got a very good side. A very powerful strong side that is capable of winning a T20 World Cup.
"This is probably my last selection meet for the international side. I did the best I could do and leave the rest to the will of the god. I am sure by god`s grace we will win the T20 world cup," he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Ceasefire violations by Pak: Should India carry out surgical strike part-II?
- Pak High Commission staffer grilled for spying, asked to leave India
- Panel discussion on the need of Pakistan's ambassador in India
- Beware! Fake currency notes floating in market this Diwali
- Intelligence agencies warn of firing by Pakistan along LoC, international border
- Pakistan's brutality exposed; `Black Day` protesters thrashed in PoK - Video goes viral
- Pakistan High Commission staffer, briefly detained for espionage, asked to leave India in 48 hours
- Diwali 2016: Dhanteras Puja timings, Tithi and Vidhi
- Pakistan declares Indian High Commission official persona non grata, asks him to leave country
- UPA govt thought of attacking Lashkar HQ, training camps after 26/11 strike, claims ex-NSA Shivshankar Menon