Three bookies arrested in Goa
Panaji: The Goa Police have arrested three Mumbai-based bookies for betting during the fifth South Africa-Sri Lanka One-day International played in Colombo on Wednesday.
Police said the bookies - Hitesh Jatakia, Sunil Shukla and Hitesh Desai - are from the Dahisar suburb of Mumbai and were staying at a hotel near Panaji for the entire series. A laptop, more than 16 mobile phones and some cash were recovered from their hotel room during the raid late Wednesday, a police spokesperson said.
"They have been arrested under the Goa Daman and Diu Public Gambling Act, 1976," he said.
In May, the state police, on a tip-off from their Delhi counterparts, had arrested six bookies for betting on the Indian Premier League matches.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- LIVE: Pakistan's nuclear weapons may fall into hands of jihadists, fears Hillary Clinton
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’