Three bookies arrested in Goa
Panaji: The Goa Police have arrested three Mumbai-based bookies for betting during the fifth South Africa-Sri Lanka One-day International played in Colombo on Wednesday.
Police said the bookies - Hitesh Jatakia, Sunil Shukla and Hitesh Desai - are from the Dahisar suburb of Mumbai and were staying at a hotel near Panaji for the entire series. A laptop, more than 16 mobile phones and some cash were recovered from their hotel room during the raid late Wednesday, a police spokesperson said.
"They have been arrested under the Goa Daman and Diu Public Gambling Act, 1976," he said.
In May, the state police, on a tip-off from their Delhi counterparts, had arrested six bookies for betting on the Indian Premier League matches.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of problems of unemployement in India
- DNA: Analysis of how car makers are playing with people's life
- DNA: Analysis of increasing trade of terror, laudanum and fake currency in Malda
- DNA: Analysis of increasing trade of terror, laudanum and fake currency in Malda- Part II
- DNA: A plane landed at -100 degree celsius to rescue a worker
- Euro 2016, Round of 16: Wales vs Northern Ireland - Preview
- Companies with UK exposure take a big knock as Brexit stumps markets
- Dutch far-right MP Wilders calls for referendum on EU
- Is the office 'cake culture' putting your health in danger?
- Gold price soars over Rs 2,000 per 10 grams as investors seek haven following Brexit