Thunders upset by CA`s refusal to release Warner for BBL game
Melbourne: Sydney Thunders is furious that Cricket Australia has refused to release Perth Test hero David Warner for their must-win Big Bash League clash against Brisbane Heat on Tuesday.
Warner struck a magnificent 180 in the third Test in Australia`s crushing an innings and 37-run win over India.
Cricket Australia apparently want to protect in-form Warner ahead of the final Test in Adelaide.
However, the Cricket Board released Brad Haddin to play for Sydney Sixers to rediscover his form.
Sydney Thunder`s star recruit Chris Gayle said that BBL needs players such as Warner.
"If you want the Big Bash to get even bigger and better you need those sort of guys. You can monitor the fast bowlers but the batters, if they are available, why not play them?
That will actually bring more spice and more crowds to the game to watch them," Gayle said.
Thunder general manager John Dyson said their team`s interest were compromised by CA`s decision.
"I think there needs to be a lot more discussion about this in the future between all the interested parties. Obviously the Australian Test management have their interests and we have ours, and we also have their best interests at heart as well, but I really do believe we have missed a couple of opportunities for David to play this year that would have affected neither his focus or his form," Dyson was quoted as saying in a leading daily.
Dyson argued that by playing in BBL, Warner will only get better.
"I thought every opportunity for him to play was an opportunity missed by our elite panel and I think David is the sort of player, the more cricket he plays, the better he is, I have seen that when he has played for NSW," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Jamaat-e-Islami chief announces Rs 100 cr reward for PM Modi's arrest
- Zee Media exclusive interview with victim of Uber molestation
- Maggi samples found unsafe: Delhi government
- DNA: Analysis of Vijay Mallya's 'fund transfer formula'
- IMD forecasts 'deficient' Monsoon, drought-like conditions expected
- Was asked to call Sunanda Pushkar’s death `natural`: AIIMS doctor
- Maggi row: Delhi registers case against Nestle, Kerala withdraws stock from govt stores
- Rahul Gandhi hails BR Ambedkar, takes potshot at Modi-led NDA govt over IIT Madras row
- From being the ‘Dabangg’ girl to ‘Akira’ - Sonakshi Sinha’s journey so far
- China ship carrying 458 on board sinks in Yangtze River: Five dead, hundreds missing