Tikolo takes over from Brown as Kenya coach
Nairobi: Former skipper Steve Tikolo has been named as Kenya`s interim cricket coach, replacing Robin Brown, who stood down after the side`s failure to qualify for next year`s ICC World Twenty20 championships in Bangladesh.
Zimbabwean Brown, who joined the team`s coaching staff as director of elite development last year, tendered his resignation on Monday, along with team skipper Collins Obuya and Tikolo was brought in.
The 42-year-old Tikolo was recalled from international retirement in October to help boost the team`s performances.
"Obuya has opted to step down as the team captain but will continue to offer his services as a player," Cricket Kenya administrative officer David Pamba told AFP.
"Young batsman Rakep Patel has been named the new captain, as Kenya seeks to rebuild the team for the future,"
Kenya finished 11th at the World Twenty20 qualifying tournament in Dubai last month, and were subsequently beaten by Afghanistan in the World Cricket League as they tried to qualify for the 2015 World Cup finals in Australia and New Zealand.
However Kenya still have a chance of qualifying for the World Cup during next month`s qualifiers in New Zealand, where only two places will be up for grabs to join Afghanistan, Ireland and the 10 Test teams at the 2015 finals.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Barack Obama thanks Americans for making him a 'better man'
- Is there no respect for Congress in UP politics?
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened
- Yuvraj Singh's wife Hazel Keech suggests new middle name for hubby Yuvi following Cuttack heroics
- Bigots at it again! Mohammed Shami called un-Islamic for posting picture with dog