Tim Southee fined for breaching ICC Code of Conduct
Dubai: New Zealand pacer Tim Southee has been fined 30 per cent of his match fee for having a confrontation with West Indies batsman Kirk Edwards during the second day`s play in the ongoing second cricket Test between the two sides.
"New Zealand pacer Tim Southee has been fined for a Level 1 breach of the ICC Code of Code for Players and Support Personnel during second day`s play in the second Test against the West Indies in Port of Spain," the ICC said in a statement.
"Southee was fined 30 per cent of his match fee by Chris Broad of the Emirates Elite Panel of ICC Match Referees, after he pleaded guilty to breaching Article 2.1.8, that relates to `conduct contrary to the spirit of the game`."
The incident related to Southee`s confrontation with West Indies batsman Kirk Edwards around the 31st over of the West Indies` first innings, which required the intervention of the on-field umpires.
Commenting on his decision, Broad said: "Southee`s behavior towards Edwards was unacceptable and contrary to the spirit of the game. He disregarded the on-field umpires` previous warnings and continued to engage with Edwards, which required the intervention of the umpires in the middle of the pitch.
"In doing so, Southee neither showed respect to his opponent nor to the umpires, something which has no place in our sport."
The charge was laid by on-field umpires Ian Gould and Rod Tucker, as well as TV umpire Richard Illingworth, all from the Emirates Elite Panel of ICC Umpires.
All Level 1 breaches carry a minimum penalty of an official reprimand and a maximum penalty of 50 per cent of a player`s match fee.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Wife catches husband with his girlfriend at Goa Airport
- Shiv Sena announces award of 2 lakh for Hindu families with 5 kids
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: There are no shortcuts to success, says Dr Chandra
- 'Mann ki Baat': Will implement 13 new pointers to Land Bill from today itself, says PM Modi
- Watch 15 reports from 15 cities
- Know box-office report of Saif-Katrina's 'Phantom'
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukerjea's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna, driver taken to Raigad to recreate crime scene
- Wife catches husband along with his girlfriend at Goa airport, video goes viral – Watch
- Bihar polls 2015: Lalu pacifies 'upset' Mulayam ahead of Mahagatbandhan rally, offers 5 seats to SP
- Mumbai Police recovers car used in Sheena's murder; Indrani, Sanjeev, driver to be taken to crime spot in Raigad