Tim Southee fined for breaching ICC Code of Conduct
Dubai: New Zealand pacer Tim Southee has been fined 30 per cent of his match fee for having a confrontation with West Indies batsman Kirk Edwards during the second day`s play in the ongoing second cricket Test between the two sides.
"New Zealand pacer Tim Southee has been fined for a Level 1 breach of the ICC Code of Code for Players and Support Personnel during second day`s play in the second Test against the West Indies in Port of Spain," the ICC said in a statement.
"Southee was fined 30 per cent of his match fee by Chris Broad of the Emirates Elite Panel of ICC Match Referees, after he pleaded guilty to breaching Article 2.1.8, that relates to `conduct contrary to the spirit of the game`."
The incident related to Southee`s confrontation with West Indies batsman Kirk Edwards around the 31st over of the West Indies` first innings, which required the intervention of the on-field umpires.
Commenting on his decision, Broad said: "Southee`s behavior towards Edwards was unacceptable and contrary to the spirit of the game. He disregarded the on-field umpires` previous warnings and continued to engage with Edwards, which required the intervention of the umpires in the middle of the pitch.
"In doing so, Southee neither showed respect to his opponent nor to the umpires, something which has no place in our sport."
The charge was laid by on-field umpires Ian Gould and Rod Tucker, as well as TV umpire Richard Illingworth, all from the Emirates Elite Panel of ICC Umpires.
All Level 1 breaches carry a minimum penalty of an official reprimand and a maximum penalty of 50 per cent of a player`s match fee.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Mumbai: Police arrests 4 schoolboys for raping classmate
- Haryana minister Anil Vij gets into spat with Fatehabad SP Sangeeta Kalia
- Panel discussion on Farooq Abdullah's controversial statement on PoK
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's full speech in Parliament
- DNA: Heart-wrenching stories of Kashmiri pandits
- Kim Jong-Un issues bizarre diktat, asks North Korean men to copy his hairstyle, women to follow his wife
- Muslim man sends 'talaq' SMS to wife after learning about her gang-rape
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's speech in Parliament on Constitution debate
- Four minors gang-rape teenage girl in Mumbai, circulate video on WhatsApp
- ISL 2015: NorthEast United FC vs Delhi Dynamos - Preview